News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Horn Blowing

Started by J. Russo, August 22, 2021, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I am trying to reassemble my steering wheel after restoring the steering column in which I installed a new horn wire. I have the wire connected at the column and the horn does not blow when I turn the steering wheel. However, when I install the horn button assembly, the horn blows continuously.

I tightened the steering wheel nut at 45 ft. lbs. per the shop manual.

I realize that the horn blows when the spring comes in contact with any metal around it, but I'm not seeing how to prevent that once I complete the assembly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

I have resolved this issue. For those that may experience this in the future, The diagram shows (2) 7.3785 parts. The part I found to be defective is the second 7.3785. It has elevated plastic is 3 spots around the edge to secure the horn button to the steering wheel. One of those elevated areas had a piece of plastic chipped off in the middle and exposed the metal, thus causing it to make the horn blow continuously. I put electrical tape over the exposed area and it resolved the issue for now.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828