News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 Eldorado

Started by Afterthought, September 13, 2021, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afterthought

Well this thing is finally on the road. Rebuilt trans and new axels. New brakes and calipers and flex lines..and i got the sunroof to move quicker...waiting for Meinecke to get back with the estimate for the exhaust. My wife insisted I put on craigslist north jersey...probably list it here next week while I'm on vacation. She wants me to focus on a 70 Le Mans convertible that she can drive...oh well..       

TJ Hopland

If she wants a more sporty convertible I guess there isn't much you can do about it unless you go for something like an Allante.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You know that sounds familiar. My first wife would always insist (it's me or that car) I sell every project just about when it was finally finished. Okay that went on for 15 years. Finally decided to keep the car
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

hornetball

LOL.  Oh how I wish I could give a like.   ;D

Scot Minesinger

That is funny, when my ex-wife did not like the car I bought, it was certain to be great - it was the seal of approval to me. 

To each their own, and a convertible V-8 RWD American car is better than a closed car to me.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

James Landi

I have to agree with Scott--- and having owned a 61, a 72, a 84, and an 85, Cadillac convertible and  a 90 Allante, the hardtop convertible by Cadillac, the XLR does it ALL.  Absolutely smooth and quiet with the top up (no wind noise from a soft top convertible)--- and my wife loves the a/c ventilated seats --- so yes, you CAN have nearly everything, that is to say, a happy wife and two Cadillacs in one (rather expensive) an XLR Cadillact will, most assuredly,  diminish any desire for a soft top Pontiac   .   James

wrench

Never had an issue with the old lady and old cars...

But then again, she got herself an old Corvette convertible.

I drive it once in a while, but I ride right seat most of the time.

I actually enjoy it.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

R Pope

Never had an issue but I find that as long as my wife has a newer car that she likes goes a very long way.
Even when my choices have been impractical or eye-rolling level.

Agree with the convertible comments. For some reason, I am drawn to them. Make doesn't matter.

Big Fins

Quote from: wrench on September 14, 2021, 10:58:42 PM
Never had an issue with the old lady and old cars...

But then again, she got herself an old Corvette convertible.

I actually enjoy it.

And everyone looking thinks it's your car and you are letting her drive it.  :)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dochawk

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 13, 2021, 02:59:42 PM
Finally decided to keep the car

So is this your theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRrKaq0IyY
("I'm gonna miss her")

Quote from: wrench on September 14, 2021, 10:58:42 PM.

I suppose that would be easier to get into than the driver's seat.

But my interest in an early corvette evaporated quickly when I got *in* one (no small task at my size) to drive it at an auction.

I just plain don't fit.

And wouldn't a '71 Eldorado convertible solve the OP's problem?

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

35-709

Not if she wants a '70 LeMans.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carfreak

Jackie Nelson donated their 1970 Eldorado to the CLC Museum after her husband Gary passed a few years ago. 

She was at Fall Festival this weekend and asked me to take a pic of her with the car in the Museum. 

Wayne Kady just happened to be walking by and got in the picture too. 

She's a great lady and he's a really nice guy. 

More reasons to come to CLC Museum Fall Festival. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Afterthought

LOL all good points, gentlemen...and good point 72BlueEldo...my roommate.. A.K.A wife  has a newer Jeep Wrangler. .2 door.. plum crazy purple...manual trans, or as she says "millennial theft deterrent"..she loves it... but me not so much..(take that either way)..I drive a Freightliner at work and bobtailing is a smoother ride..she won't even get behind the Eldo wheel. She complains the hood is almost as big as her jeep.. ;D  tru dat..and it looks like the Eldo is getting a camaro muffler with the new system at Mieneke..12 to 14 weeks for a oem muffler. And back to the trans shop at some point. It shudders going into 2nd..and the 8 track player ate my Three Dog Night tape..no more Golden Biscuits... 

dochawk

Quote from: 35-709 on September 26, 2021, 07:51:42 PM
Not if she wants a '70 LeMans.

I suppose it depends whether her focus is '70 LeMans, or big GM convertible . . .

the Eldorado lets you have a Cadillac, and her a big convertible.

[OK, the Eldorado convertible is objectively a better choice, but that's another issue!]

Quote from: Afterthought on September 27, 2021, 09:05:33 PM
..she won't even get behind the Eldo wheel. She complains the hood is almost as big as her jeep

Well, yeah.  So what's her point?
:D

(I had to have my neighbor help to get the hood of the '72 Eldorado up on the pulleys I mounted in my garage roof when the hinges broke.  I think it's over 200lbs all by itself . . . )
..and the 8 track player ate my Three Dog Night tape..
[/quote]

As long as it didn't eat Conway Twitty or Mickey Giley . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

Quote from: dochawk on September 28, 2021, 12:51:05 AM
I suppose it depends whether her focus is '70 LeMans, or big GM convertible . . .

the Eldorado lets you have a Cadillac, and her a big convertible.

[OK, the Eldorado convertible is objectively a better choice, but that's another issue!]

Well, yeah.  So what's her point?
:D

(I had to have my neighbor help to get the hood of the '72 Eldorado up on the pulleys I mounted in my garage roof when the hinges broke.  I think it's over 200lbs all by itself . . . )
..and the 8 track player ate my Three Dog Night tape..

As long as it didn't eat Conway Twitty or Mickey Giley . . .

Heye: that shudder from 1st to 2nd maybe a split/crack in the transmission housing that creates a loss of necessary pressure --- If you can create a smooth shift between 1st and 2nd by simply taking your foot off the gas as it's about to shift, that's a tell tail.   Hope this helps, James