News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 replacement of original flexible AC hoses

Started by john116, October 01, 2021, 06:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john116

Hi - has anyone replaced, or have any suggestions for how best to replace the flexible AC hoses in the original AC setup in a 1954 Cadillac?

Thanks,
John

Cadman-iac

John,
   I have a 56, but it's the same for 54, 55, and 56 as far as I know.
   Are referring to the hoses coming from the air scoops going to the evaporator case? If so, then you are in for some work. There's not much room to get your hands in there to get the hose loose from the scoops. And there is a small drain hose that's molded into the intake hose around halfway down, that goes to a small tube on the sides of the evaporator case.
  If your hoses are in good shape, you may just want to leave them alone. They will be brittle and will crack and tear if you move or flex them very much.
As for replacements, I haven't ever found anything made specifically for this. I used new flex hose that I got from an auto parts store. I don't remember the diameter though, but if you take your's off of the evaporator case, you can measure the connector on the case. What I did for the drains was to use some new windshield drains for a tri-five Chevy and poke them through the flex hose in the correct location, and sealed them in. I don't remember what I used to seal those with unfortunately. If I get a chance I'll dig out the hoses and get some pictures for you. Mine are still stored away until I'm ready to assemble the car.

As for the hoses going between the blowers and the inside vents, those are molded rubber and they harden with time. I've got 3 sets, and none are any good. I'm working on a way to use a flex hose for this too. But I've got to finish the adapters going on the blower housings and under the vents for the hose to attach to.
  Hope this may help.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

john116

Hi - thanks for all that information, that will come in useful when I get to that bit in my car. However, I actually met the two hoses in the engine bay. As in picture attached.

Cadman-iac

Ok, I misunderstood what you were referring to. I too would like to know about how to replace these original freon hoses. I haven't done anything with that part of the system yet, mostly because I'm not sure what's the best way to do it.
CLC# 32373

Moody

I'm sure they can be rebuilt. Braided copper lines are readily available, and still in use. The only issue would be if the lines will work with freon. Your old fittings may have to be reused. Maybe contact Odd Parts. Jim can repair anything.
Dave
Moody

J. Gomez

Quote from: john116 on October 02, 2021, 08:31:06 PM
Hi - thanks for all that information, that will come in useful when I get to that bit in my car. However, I actually met the two hoses in the engine bay. As in picture attached.

John,

Those are called "A/C vibration eliminator" I recalled there was a thread way back which Greg Surfas provided the nomenclature for them, I can't find the thread so it may have been archived or lost.  :(

You can do a search and find them at several A/C shops, so you would need someone to re-solder them to the original pipe lines. Are yours missing or bad?   ???

Good luck..!

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Jack 82

Have you pulled vacuum on the system to see if they're okay?  These lines are pretty robust and unless they're leaking they should be fine. 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

john116

Thank you all for your responses/help.  So, having looked up A/C vibration eliminator hoses, I made the mistake of thinking they were braided rubber hoses, whereas in fact they are not, and are flexible stainless steel with a braid.

So unless leaking, no need to replace.  Thanks again, and apologies for what turned out to be a confusing question to a degree.

Cadman-iac

Hey John,

You might want to check out your hoses,or lines, again. As I was looking at mine, it really looks like there's a rubber hose underneath that braiding, however I'm not positive that's what it is.

I'm just not sure that a flexible stainless steel tube would last very long. The movement of the engine would work that tubing back and forth until it would develop cracks and eventually fail.
If someone else here has taken one of these lines apart, can you tell us if it is fact a flexible stainless steel tube, or a rubber hose.
Jose, have you ever replaced one of those hoses or tubes?

Thanks for posting this thread John, it's a very good question, and we're not the only ones who want to know about this.

Rick
CLC# 32373

J. Gomez

Quote from: Cadman-iac on October 03, 2021, 05:46:23 PM

Jose, have you ever replaced one of those hoses or tubes?

Rick

Richard,

No I have not I have the original ones in my car. From what I recall these are like the gooseneck type as they are flexible on the braided area.

I recalled on an old thread (can say for sure if it was here or another Cadillac forum  :( ) these style "could" leak Freon if they are not filled with the correct Freon "BUT" not sure if it was ever confirmed or verified.   ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082