News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

E10 distillation curves

Started by fishnjim, October 05, 2021, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I had this for years but could not locate in past discussions.   
Lots of discussion about ethanol gas and vapor lock, so here's the data.
The graphs on the upper left are the ones, just different data sets.   This study was with a range of alcohols.
Just be informed when viewing that the lower the points on the curve the more that evaporates/easier to evaporate.   E10 is what is at the pump usually.   Notice the temperatures also.   The explanation is that the ethanol forms some lower boiling azeotropes with the mid distillates and that what promotes the evaporation.   
There are other articles out there with different conclusions about the effects to environment, etc but do not impact this issue.

note:This excerpt is from an ACS publication that I obtained with my dues allocation years back, if the trademark people are worried.   

Michael Petti

Thanks for publishing this. It at least partially explains why my 1960 390 runs much better below 70 degrees than upwards of 80 degrees.