News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Lasalle starter relay

Started by KC Tom, October 23, 2021, 07:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC Tom

The points in the relay that prevents you from engaging starter while generator is operating have been sticking causing the started to not work. I found a NOS part on line and got a little time after a show today and pulled the starter. Of course the part was totally different and will not work. My question is what are my options?
I can do without this feature and am wondering if there is a way of deleting it.
They points are badly corroded and don't know if they could be filed.
Any help would be appreciated

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

You are misunderstanding the circuit here.  The points prevent the starter from engaging when the engine is running as a side benefit only.  The main function is to close the circuit that sends current to the starter solenoid itself.  It is a two step process.  These small points close sending say 15 amps (not exact number) which powers the starter solenoid to move the starter pinion and close the big line switch for 200 plus amps to the starter itself.  In 1950 the first relay was eliminated and the dash starter switch powered the big solenoid directly.  With 6 volts it took a #8 wire to do this.  As soon as 12 volts came in then this was a much more elegant solution.  The starter switch was not stressed and a #8 wire was not required.  The safety feature of your system is not the relay itself but the fact that it is grounded via the generator.  But without that feature you still need the relay to power the high amps required to engage the pinion and close the main battery wire that powers the starter.  You could mount a remote relay nearby to substitute for the on board relay.  This was the design that the 38 to 40 V-16 used.  The only problem is a four terminal 6 volt relay is most likely harder to find than the relay you are looking for.  You can also substitute for the 42 to 48 complete solenoid. (Probably the points you bought were for this model.) The solenoid is identical function but has a new design for the relay.  It will fit on your starter. Since lots can go wrong in these starter solenoids getting old bad ones could give you a good set of points.  The big 200 amp switch in them fails also so good to find old bad ones to salvage parts from.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

KC Tom

Is there any way to by pass this system or
Maybe I can try to clean the points up.
It was starting fine but when I took it somewhere I had to let it set for awhile before the started would work again.

Ohjai

When i had issues with the starter in my 38 Sixty Special, I removed it and sent it to an Electrical shop to have it rebuilt.  I also replace the ground wire, battery and cleaned all the contacts.  When I reinstalled it, the engine spins fast and starts quickly.  So!  I recommend you taking it out and let a reputable shop rebuild it for you.

Since your name has KC in it, I am assuming you are in the KC area, I am across the state in the St. Louis area and we have an excellent motor/generator repair shop, ElJay Lawn Products, (314) 727-1171, ask for Elliott.  Elliott runs the motor repair shop, his son runs the lawn service portion of the business.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold