News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Reproduction windshields?

Started by TJ Hopland, November 13, 2021, 09:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

A friend of mine just inquired at one of the big reproduction auto glass resellers about a windshield that was being reproduced as of a few years ago but very expensive so he didn't order one then.   Today its no longer available and he was told its because there was pretty much only one company in Peru that was doing most of the reproduction stuff and about 3 years ago their factory got a contract to switch production over to Tesla.   Anyone else hear or experience that?

That brings up another question, How is something like say a 59 windshield made?    Can it be done with a fairly simple and crude wooden stick jig sort of thing?   Or does it require a much more complex and precise die/mold sort of thing?  I'm just wondering what the chances are of some smaller company taking on reproducing these.   If it requires a die/mold sort of thing seems like pretty much no chance of that happening. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Abe Lugo

There is a company in Sweden that will make custom ones.   I'm sure it's near 3K.  But the people that need them are putting big buck into show cars.   The patter is made with a combination of a wood or metal frame and fiberglass laid over the shape that is needed. So there a bunch of up front work needed. 

The best best is to find a parts car with nice glass and use it.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

rwchatham CLC 21892

Auto city classic has windshields for most cars .
R. Waligora

TJ Hopland

Auto City is who my friend was dealing with that told him about the loss of that one production facility. 

Rossoroo

49-6269 My First Caddy

pininfarinacad

Is there something I have missed here? 59 cadillac windshields are highly available, for less than $500 each.

TJ Hopland

I was just bringing up 59 because I think it was one of the years with major curves in it that people would be familiar with. My friends case is a 63 Ambulance.  I don't remember what other years or models it interchanged with, I think he said there were a few but its still apparently a rare part.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The problem with the Ambulances/Commercial Conversions, these in most cases use a totally different windscreen to the basic car, so they would be scarce.

I have never heard of any Ambulances needing a windscreen replaced, as their usage is a lot different to the normal car which means less likelihood of breaking a screen.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon