News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carburetor Repair

Started by Paul Tesone, December 08, 2021, 11:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

I am aware that we are not supposed to leave disparaging comments about vendors here on the Forum - and I never have. However , I feel an obligation to describe disappointing experiences and/or results from vendors so that other members can be better informed and possibly avoid the same unpleasant situation I experienced . ... Having said that , I want to share my carburetor rebuild experience without mentioning names . In MARCH 2021 , upon recommendation from my restorer , I sent my carb to a repair shop in New Jersey . My restorer had spoken to the owner of the shop and told me that he seemed very knowledgeable . My technical knowledgeable is limited , but he did seem very sincere in his assurances that he could rebuild the carb . I was told that it would take about 6-8 weeks and the carb would be returned with correct replacement parts and in the correct color . Eight weeks later I still didn't have my carb , and it was unusual for anyone to answer the phone . I finally received the carb two weeks ago . ...During the eight months that the carb was at the shop , rarely did anyone answer the phone . To the owner's credit , he did return 2 or 3 of my calls . He assured me that he had my carb , that it was in line to be rebuilt , but he was running behind schedule . He did seem sincere , and I passed off the delay on a loss of employees due to Covid . But at the 6th month mark I became really concerned , not to mention that my rebuilt engine was without a carburetor . ..... When I finally did receive the carb , I was disappointed with the color ( see before & after photos ) . It remains to be seen if it works properly . If it doesn't , I will be sending it to a different shop for correction . ..... To summarize , the owner seemed knowledgeable , sincere ,  but probably understaffed and unable to complete a job in a timely fashion . I don't know what to say about the color . I'm just happy to have my carb back . .... If anyone is planning to have a carb rebuilt in New Jersey , and wants to know the name of the shop , I can be reached at tess352@yahoo.com . .... Paul Tesone CLC #6876

rwchatham CLC 21892

Paul it looks like they rebuilt your carb they definitely did not restore it .
R. Waligora

z3skybolt

Paul,

If you have further issues may I recommend    https://thecarburetorshop.com/.  The shop in Eldon Missouri has rebuilt thousands, including those on high value show cars.  They also sell kits, made in the USA.  The owner is a wealth of information. I bought a kit from him for my 1940 LaSalle and had an oldtime mechanic rebuilt my carb.  The engine now runs beautifully with smooth and more powerful acceleration.

Good Luck,

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

fishnjim

Covid's being used as an excuse for everything, real or not.   About time for everyone to suck it up and get moving.   Life's not fair, no matter what the politicians tell you.   One HS principal said it best.   Paraphrasing;We have all sorts of infectious diseases we deal with at school, covid is no exception.  We have to and are learning to deal with it, doesn't help to have everyone complain and tell us how to do our job.
Glad someone with a little sense finally spoke, the talking heads are boisterous.
As for the carb without any year, model number. etc. can't comment.   Photos from one aspect in poor light, aren't always comparable.   If it works, it works.  If it doesn't, then you're entitled to compensation.   Take it up with the owner, don't air dirty laundry and make him pay behind the scenes.   Nothing was conveyed about what he charged?
Meeting expectations is another dimension.   Expectations have to be understood by both parties up front.   Why we put deliverables, like appearance, timeframe, how to ship, etc. in writing(contracts), not take someone's word.   
I'd be having a conversation with the guy that said he was knowledgeable, too.  Your admitting not being mechanically inclined, so I sympathize it's more difficult for you.   I don't think anyone can make them new.   If he just dipped it, and the anodizing is gone, it'll never look the same as when it was new.   They have to re-anodize.  Personally, I bead blast them to brighten up the finish if dull and file work the fasteners, etc. but I'm doing stuff for me, my standards.
It's almost impossible to get somethings yet, and shipping is messed up, so expectations should be tempered in the short term.   No crystal ball when it'll return to what it was, maybe never, C'est La Vie.

Chuck Swanson

I have had multiple carbs done by Chris for my 65-66 cars.  He will restore to original show quality colors (vs Dayton who send carbs his way as Dayton does not do exact OEM show quality) He also tests on a car before shipping.  One car has over 7,000 miles so far on his rebuild.  Excellent service

https://www.yellowpages.com/dayton-oh/mip/chriss-carb-shop-491899

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Lexi

Looks like a mid fifties Rochester, '55 - '57. Guessing '55 or '56. Not all rebuilders are now re-plating them. Things like that you have to work out prior to the work being done so your expectations are met, as Jim pointed out. Clay/Lexi

Jay Friedman

My favorite carb rebuilder is Larry Isgro, Wantagh NY.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Paul
Considering what the carb looked like before, the after shot looks pretty good. You did not mention whether this is going to be a show car or a great driver, and unless you paid North of $550.00 I would say IF THE CARB WORKS OK you got your money's worth
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Lexi

I agree with Greg. The turn around time does seem lengthy though. That aside, ditto Greg's comments. Clay/Lexi

wheikkila

Long delays for now, is part of our hobby.  I sent a pair of VW carbs off to be rebuilt in April. The throttle shafts were worn out. I have used this company in the past many times. They do great work. There normal turn around time is 4 to 6 weeks. I just talked to them and I will receive my carbs within the next couple weeks. The problem is lack of qualified personal and parts. We have to remember, we are dealing with specialty shops. A good shop has a back log of work. I am happy to hear that they have a back log. We need these company's to stay in business. Did this work on my timeline? No, I had to make adjustments. But that is the story of working on our cars.
Being flexible.                             Thanks Wayne

Paul Tesone

Thanks very much for everyone's thoughts & comments . I don't consider myself a complainer , nor do I think that I set my expectations regarding this hobby too high . I try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt when things don't go as expected . But when I'm told eight weeks , and it gets to be eight months ( without any reasonable communication as to why ) , I get concerned . When I'm told my carburetor will be returned with the correct anodized color , and it comes back green , I get disappointed . In my own defense , I don't think most of us ask for a written contract stating how long a carb rebuild will take or what color the finished product will be . We hope that the vendors we speak to will be honest and sincere in our discussions with them - if we even get to have a discussion . .... As I stated from the beginning of my post , the purpose of the post was not to malign anyone ; just to share the experience . Although disappointed , I still feel the owner of the carb shop knows his profession . I think his problem was that he was , and still is , understaffed , and he should never have accepted the job in the first place . As for the green color , I just don't have an explanation . The carb's proper function remains to be seen . ....I thought this information was worthy of sharing with the Forum readers ...... Paul Tesone CLC#6876

Lexi

Makes sense Paul. I agree that 8 months for this rebuild is extreme. I had my carb rebuilt last year and the wait time was 3 - 4 weeks, (without re-plating). In retrospect the vendor should not have accepted your job, and/or better communicated with you during the process when the wait time increased. Hope the carb is found to be properly operational when put to the test. Clay/Lexi

wheikkila

Hi Paul
You make some good points. we don't always ask the right questions when speaking with a vendor. I didn't ask how long it will take. Nor did they say they had a large back log. I assumed two to three months. That was my fault. Not that I would have sent them anywhere else. Then again they are only as fast as the parts they have. The only difference would have been how soon I pulled the fuel from the tank. I hope you install the carb and the engine runs great for you. That first start up is thrilling. I never get tired of it. Even on the ones that have sat for a long time. They just smoke more.
             Thanks Wayne     

fishnjim

Not sure what this carb is made of, but if a zinc base, then the cleaning might have caused the green, or he dipped in something.  Maybe correct too, I don't know.   Not what U expected, so why I say state that up front*, don't assume they know what U want and liable to forget over several weeks.   Zinc is supposed to be chromated, and that gives the goldish irridescent finish.   Aluminum would be bright anodized, which is isn't all that shiny but appears "clean".   I restore this look by beading, as stated.   They're cast external parts and the cleaner gets in the pores, and leaves it dark.   So if you don't address that, it'll be "ugly".
FYI:
When the chrome guy told me 8 weeks, and it elapsed and he didn't call, I called him on week 9 and raised a bitocane.   He gave me all the "short on help" excuses, but I told him then he shouldn't have told me 8 weeks, and he got on it immediately.   The second time, I wasn't in a hurry, told him up front, so I gave him more rope.  He still missed and had to call him.   These one man shops are like this.   Mostly skilled people but not business swavvy.
I hear U on sharing the grief, but I'm not a fan of behind the back in business.   Most issues can be solved with direct communication.  Take your bitches to him.
* - I did a commercial project, and this electrical contractor wanted to work in our plant, so he bid low.   I was leary but the purchasing agent liked the cost.   He showed up on the job with the wrong class materials.   I had clearly specified that in the bid package.   He lost his shirt on that job.   Get it in writing, folks.

David King (kz78hy)

I have used Chris at Chris' Carb Shop for my cars and he does a great job, also rebuilds distributors.  The parts look as good or better than new.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter