News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Sedan Battery Grounding

Started by Coupe Deville, September 22, 2013, 02:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello. I think my 1957 Cadillac series 62 Sedan does not have the right negitive battery cable and i dont think it is grounded in the right place either. Does anyone have pictures of this or where i could get a O.E. style cable?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

The negative cable attaches to the frame rail with a bolt.  You'll see a hole on the top of the frame just in front of the rad support.  I know I must have a picture but have to find it or snap another.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

Thank you. That explains alot. My battery is currently grounded to the radiator support For some odd reason. Also what voltage do I need to crank the engine successfully? My battery is 6 years old and holds a charge of 11.5. My engine bearly cranks over. Is this a battery problem or starter?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

Battery sounds weak OR it's the grounding location.  Original batteries leaked--on the grille and down on the frame where the ground cable bolt should be.  Mine also leaked on the passenger steel brake line and ate a hole through it!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David Greenburg

Make sure that the cable is bolted to bare metal on the frame/body.  Paint or rust can cause problems like this. One way to test would be to clip a good quality jumper cable from the neg. terminal to a known good ground and see if that helps. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

raul.kolk

Sorry to awake a dead thread, but it seems rather reasonable to post here than start a new one.

I as well have a question about battery grounding strap location. On 57-6267SX in my case.

I read from July '99 '57-'58 Cadillac Authenticity Manual Page III-10 that "The ground cable is bolted to the top of the frame rail. The ground connection to the battery is made closer to the battery (further forward along the right frame rail). Taken that the 7.2910 STRAP, GROUND, BATTERY is 21 1/2" lg. as stated in MPL, it leaves not much openings to be attached to, but none available seems quite right. I doubt that any of them has been welded before the paint job, but you never know. If anyone could refer to correct attaching point I'd be really thankful.