News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Deville master cylinder

Started by mario, December 21, 2021, 08:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario

Hi all:
I am installing that master cylinder in a "brand X" car replacing a single circuit "fruit jar."
Can anyone tell me which port goes to the front drums?
The one closest to the firewall, or the one closest to the radiator?
Thanks in advance.
Mario Caimotto

Poncholover

Unless you have some sort of hermaphrodite, front port always to front brakes.
Flattie Caddy

mario

Thank you for the reply.
I, too thought that, until I saw this on another forum:

".. I just looked at an original 1962 Cadillac this past weekend, which was the first GM car to have a dual master cylinder. It had the port closest to the booster operating the front brakes and the one furthest away operating the rear brake..."

I don't know if that is right or wrong. That is why I asked. I was hoping to get a response from someone that can look at his stock, unmolested 66 deville.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

D. Mailan

Looking at my 1966 deVille, the line farthest from the booster follows the frame to the rear of the car. The line closest from the booster goes to a y and spits towards the two front brakes. Hope this helps

Derick

mario

derick:
thank you for taking the time to do this for me. this is the way the caddy engineers designed it.

mr. snodgrass:
i do not question your thoughts on what you stated. i, too believed that in a drum/drum system as there is so many disagreements on this, i wanted to see how the original setup was.

it is kind of funny that your handle is poncholover as that is the car i am replacing this fruit jar on, 1964 grand prix.

over on that other site, there are links that state the 1967 master cylinder on that car is as you stated - the closest to the firewall goes to the rear brakes.

now that i am using a 66 caddy master cylinder it should be installed the way those engineers designed it.

i am using that particular one as the outlet ports are away from the inner fenders (as you can see from derick's photo,) whereas the pontiac has the ports next to the inner fender.

by the way, both vehicles have the same size wheel cylinder diameters and main bore diameter.
thank you everyone for all your assistance.
ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Roger Zimmermann

Not the same year, but on my '72 de Ville, the master cylinder has a large reservoir at the front for the front brakes; due to the piston diameter, front brakes are using more fluid during the brake application. At the rear (near the firewall), the reservoir is small and is for the rear drums.
Therefore, there is no set rule.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Hey, Goomba, the M/C on the '69 Fleetwood, has two equal reservoirs and a disc/drum set up. The front goes to the front and the rear to the rear. So, I have to agree with Roger, there is no set rule.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

mario

roger:
does your car have front discs/rear drums of drum/drum ???
that would explain the different size reservoirs.

fins:
with all the different opinions and with no set rule, that is why i asked. i didn't trust the thought that front brakes were fed by the front (closest to the radiator) reservoir. i wanted to find out from an original installation (thank you derick.)

some said that the master cylinder pistons were different sizes or had holes drilled in them to offset the pressures inside of the master as kind of a pressure regulator to one side of the braking system over the other. 
ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: mario on December 23, 2021, 12:21:31 PM
roger:
does your car have front discs/rear drums of drum/drum ???
that would explain the different size reservoirs.

If you read my text, you will see that I have discs in front and drums at the rear. I believe for 1972 front discs were standard. From the pictures, the old master cylinder had almost equal reservoirs; the new master cylinder has obviously a larger one for the front brakes.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

mario

Roger:
Funny you should say that, as I did read your post. Nowhere did I read that you had DISC brakes, just larger front pistons,, and rear drums.
Sorry for misreading your post.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Roger Zimmermann

You are right, Mario: the word "disc" is not on my first post...Sorry!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101