News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What's worse, a custom Cadillac or a custom version of your model Cadillac?

Started by Joe V, March 21, 2016, 08:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Quote from: Joe Vastola CLC #29052 on March 21, 2016, 08:55:12 PM
Have you ever seen a custom version or your model Cadillac you liked or thought was OK?

I like mine so far.  ;D   Some others I like a lot such as the Dale Armstrong built cars. Others not so much (stretch limo dual axle wheelchair access car :( )

Quentin Hall

I used to be a purist but I began to have impure thoughts a few years ago. It is like  art. I know what I like and prefer traditional customs as they were done in the immediate pre and post war era. Many of the styling ideas that ended up on our mid 50s on Cads were developed backyard customisers and refried by Detroit.
First and foremost a Cadillac must have "class". . . . never "crass".
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: INTMD8 on March 25, 2016, 12:08:34 PM
I like mine so far.  ;D   Some others I like a lot such as the Dale Armstrong built cars. Others not so much (stretch limo dual axle wheelchair access car :( )

I have been INTIMD8-ed by getting a 57-58 Brougham as I like to drive our cars and have heard there are so many "1958 technology" to keep operational. Love the style. Though I H8 to make a resto-mod, have been tempted with, at least modern technology to replace the analog switches and gizmos. The '58 engine, trans, brakes are ok to me, however.

denis62

If the 58 flower car is ever for sale...
Would love it, (with a repaint and chrome bumpers)

Denis

WTL

Haha, that paint on the 58.  It won't last forever, and when it's ready for a repaint you can do something else. 

Scott, does the passenger rearview mirror improve your driving experience?  I've heard they aren't as useful as one would think.  I like your customizations btw.  Is your intake the stock one that's been modified?  I though the performance intakes had AC clearance issues?

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: WTL on September 06, 2017, 09:42:22 AM
Haha, that paint on the 58.  It won't last forever, and when it's ready for a repaint you can do something else. 

"Ha Ha", the paint has been on it since 1993 - 24 years so far, so good. When it no longer lasts, I am thinking black.

WTL

Black would be gorgeous.  Its really fine as is, they obviously did a good job, just not what anybody else would have chosen as a scheme.  One of a kind for sure. 

55 cadi

Since I saw this post I thought I would mention about a 30's or 40's all original, supposedly one of 5 or so.
The reason I am posting this is because the shop that had it said they were going to customize it.

The place is in Canada, I will try to find the video that shows it, it was on the side bar on YouTube as realated videos I was watching.

The video isn't all on the Cadillac, it only has a 5 min on the car, and I believe it showed the vin.

I will post here when I find it for others to look at.

Let me know if I should post info somewhere else, mainly for the "where is this Cadillac" since suppose to be only a few made.

Ok I screen shot the plate that was on the firewall I believe, but will look up to find the video, I thought I screenshot the vin but it wasn't

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

55 cadi

Ok, found it,

Header of you tube video was "lost time hot rods"  video made by 1puglife

The first 5 1/2 minutes shows the car and they talk about cutting up.

They said it was a 1938, someone famous had it, and only 5 made, how much truth?, don't know, but I'm sure someone here will know.

I just wanted our group to know where it was and what's happening to it, if there are only 5 made

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Mods that you could get at the time  are one thing. Chopped and dropped, etc are different. I don't consider what Scot did as modification because the car looks stock. My exception is something like seatbelts.
For me, personally, a torn up classic car is like a beautiful woman with tatoos. I just look and shake my head...... ok, I look twice.
No offense to anyone
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on September 06, 2017, 09:04:14 PM
Mods that you could get at the time  are one thing. Chopped and dropped, etc are different. I don't consider what Scot did as modification because the car looks stock. My exception is something like seatbelts.
For me, personally, a torn up classic car is like a beautiful woman with tatoos. I just look and shake my head...... ok, I look twice.
No offense to anyone
Jeff

Agreed. I acquired a 1958 Cadillac Limo with Derham coachwork from the same seller. Perfectly authentic as like the rest of our cars. He began sending pictures of this car. I refused because I like authentic. He kept dropping the price until it was in a price range being worth as a parts car. I went for it, planning to use it as same.

However, when it came, my wife and I liked it in a strange way. It has a certain degree of charm. I would never have done this work to it, but we decided we like it and kept it as is. Putting in Vintage Air and a few other mods.

This car began life as a 1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special, three feet extended, Makes a great hit as a parade car,

Steve Passmore

Quote from: 55 cadi on September 06, 2017, 08:50:26 PM
Ok, found it,

Header of you tube video was "lost time hot rods"  video made by 1puglife

The first 5 1/2 minutes shows the car and they talk about cutting up.

They said it was a 1938, someone famous had it, and only 5 made, how much truth?, don't know, but I'm sure someone here will know.

I just wanted our group to know where it was and what's happening to it, if there are only 5 made

Jason

This is the V16 from the Wrigley family, auctioned from the Texas collection. With a car so rare, what they plan is unforgivable in my mind. and it shows what little these people know of true classics because they state its 100% original. Isn't that a 47 steering wheel I see?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: denis62 on September 06, 2017, 09:30:47 AM
If the 58 flower car is ever for sale...
Would love it, (with a repaint and chrome bumpers)

Denis

Here is our real flower car. 1958 Cadillac Eureka. Numbers match. Senior car at Hershey. Not for sale. Only four were made (hand made only). First picture taking a good friend on his last ride to Air Force Cemetary in Canton GA

70% of the original sheet metal was replaced. Flower cars were not undercoated when made -- so rust was a major problem in older cars. Seven new sheets of stainless steel. Original color paint. The full frame off restoration took 4 years at a custom shop and total cost was $247,000 by the previous owner. It was a "labor of love." Doubt I would ever sell it. The previous owner never planned to sell it, but his health and finances failed. Her name is "Lilly".