News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Freeze 12

Started by George M., March 28, 2005, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George M.

Hi,

Has anyone used Freeze 12 in their R-12 systems? Would appreciate any info about it and whether it works or if it can be used to top off systems already containing R-12.

Mike #19861

Freeze 12 is the trade name for a particular brand of refrigerant, of which is hydrocarbon based.

These are very efficient and economical refrigerants that offer many advantages over R-12, and particularly R-134A. I have used it now in a couple of my cars and am very satisfied with it.

You do not need a special licence to handle it or install it. It can be used in conjunction with any refrigerant (although the manufacturer will not recommend it) and work fine with the mineral oils used in R-12 systems, or the synthetic oils used in R-134a systems.

Less is required in the system as well. Normally 2 1/2 pounds is all that is required in a system that would normally require a 3 pound charge.

But, since pressures within the system are differant, a recalibration of the expansion valve may be required. In newer systems, a cycling switch that activates at a lower pressure may be required. Check with you supplier about these requirements.

Also, now sealers are available that will seal many small leaks so that frequent refills will not be necessary, and because the hydrocarbon strings are larger than the molecules in R-12 or R-134a, the system may not necessarily leak anyway.

My recommendation? Use it.

Mike

Erich Loepke

Actually, Freeze 12 is not an HC refrigerant; its 80percent R-134a and 20percent R-142b. No, you cant top off an R-12 system with anything other than R-12. Since Freeze-12 is mostly R-134a anyway, and since you would need to remove the R-12 to use it, you might as well service the system using R-134a if the goal is to avoid using R-12.

Mike #19861

I had thought Freeze 12 (Not available here in Canada) was a hydrocarbon based refrigerant. If not, sorry for the misconception. If indeed it is a R-134a based product, it will not be compatible with R-12.

However, hydrocarbon based refrigerants CAN be mixed with R-12 with more than satisfactory results. I have done it myself, as have a couple of other very technically well informed friends. The reason why it is not recommended is that it will contaminate refigerant recovery systems if they are used with this mix.

In fact, HC refrigerants have differing pressures in which they vapourize compared to R-12. The areas within the evaporator and condensors in which the change of state occurs are not completely the same, making more of these areas used for the change making the systems more efficient.

I used this mix in my 86 Fleetwood for a couple of years until the compressor seized, at which time I refilled it with 100percent HC refrigerant. BTW, the compressor did not seize as a result of the mix. It was a mechanical failure due to a lack of lubrication in the system which was more my fault for not replenishing the oil when the system was topped off.

Mike