News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The best engine ever from GM: 472/500

Started by Porter 21919, July 31, 2005, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise 20352

Good point, and just one more reason to wonder what they were smoking when they came up with that differential.

-d

Mike #19861

The theory at the time was that gasoline engines were more efficient at low speeds with larger throttle openings. It reduces the pumping losses. But GM already found out it does not work in the real world when they released that fleet of Police cars back in 69 with the 260 hp 2-bbl 396 and a 2.56 gear. They found that in real world conditions, they were actually worse because the officers were flooring the cars to get decent acceleration. The result was fuel economy that barely ever broke into the double digits.

Mike

Andrew 10642

Can a different differential be easily substituted to give more spritely acceleration and therefore, better fuel economy?

Mike#19861

As far as I know it is the same diff used in the wagons and police cars. The police cars have ratios of 3.08 or 3.23. Wagons also have a 3.08 gear. This would help a lot.

I have driven a couple of 77/78 Cadillacs that could easily peel rubber. No doubt they had a shorter rear. They had plenty of acceleration. My dads 77 Fleetwood was a dog by comparison.

Mike

Andrew 10642

Whats involved with switching a differential over to another version for 77-79 RWD Devilles?

Michael Stamps 19507

From what others have said it is pretty much a bolt in from other GM corp cars.

Stampie

Denise 20352

You want to replace the differential anyway, because it will be full of metal shavings.

-d