News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930-31 windshield regulator

Started by Chris Cummings, September 16, 2005, 08:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Cummings

Does anyone know how to remove (without breaking things) the regulator board for the mechanism that raises and lowers the windshield on Fleetwood-bodied closed model cars from 1930 or 1931?  In particular, Id like to know the best way to remove the thin trim strip that covers the gap between the regulator board and the headliner, and then to know what holds the regulator board in place besides the two screws or bolts at each end of the regulator board.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Cummings
CLC #20072

Wayne #17075

Chris, you never asked me! The screws on the end, screw into a metal bracket welded into the autos front frame. They may be kinda rusted in but if you use a big screw driver and go slow, they should start to turn. There is also a little bracket in the middle at the top that has two screws. you need to peel back the headliner to get to them. Use latex gloves to keep it clean unless the headliner is trashed already the you dont have to be particular. Also, in that case, use a tube on a lubricant can and lubricate the four outer screws. I assume that the unit isnt working and that you are going to try to free it up. Youll find that of the eight pot metal pieces, (two large gears on the outer ends with a nipple which lifts the windshield, two cone shaped gears on the end of the rod that work the larger gears, a holder, a gear box and two worm gears in the box), at least three are going to be trashed.
 I rebuild these units using bronze parts that I had cast. Let me know if you want yours rebuilt.
 Wayne

Chris Cummings

Wayne,

Thanks for your reply!  My car came to me with the four end screws already removed (i.e., missing).  Whats hanging me up is that 1-inch wide cloth-covered trim strip that covers the joint where the regulator board meets the headliner.  Im afraid to pry it out without advice on the right way to do it.  I dont know if the trim strip is held in place by nails, or if it has some other way of being attached to the car (like a strip of metal that fits into a groove, or what have you).  Id like to be able to reattach the strip easily when the gears have been replaced, and if I just barge boldly ahead, that might not be possible.  

Once I get the trim strip off, then I can look for the little bracket at the top that you mentioned.  Once I have the regulator board in my hands, I fully intend to send it to you so that you can work your magic.  

Thanks again,

Chris Cummings

Wayne

Chris, Im not sure about your trim piece. Is it metal or cloth? My car had a cloth covered rubber bead used as a "hidum". It was nailed in with steel brads. It all came apart when I tried to remove. Maybe someone else in the club will give more help.
Wayne