News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 questions

Started by Bob #13906, September 26, 2005, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob #13906

How do I remove the guages from my dash before removing it? Where do I get the correct trunk materials (fiber board sides & back)? What is the base color of the dash & woodgrain type (wallnut?) ? Any tips to restore a steering wheel? Thank You, Bob.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-26-05
BOB, I can only tell you what I did to remove part of the dash in my 38. Be prepared to spend some time on your back, under the dash.
Amp meter was two(2)wires, Which I marked with masking tape as I removed them, markn them R or L amp meter (as viewed from under the dash) Dito for the gas gage.
The speedometer was left in place,in the dash,and removed later for cleaning and lubeing, only the cable was disconnected.
The Temperture gage was disconnected from the (inner-mountn) and left hanging by the capillary tube, otherwise I would have had to drain the radirator to remove the temp sending-unit.
(Since there was only four(4)screws holding it, I was able to use a "screw-starter" to re-install them.
Lastly, pull-remove the dash lights. Dont know what else you have to do, as I said in the begining, I only had to remove part of the dash. The rest I sanded and painted in place.
Good Luck, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Bob,

Dont forget to disconnect the Battery before starting to undo the Ampmeter.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

The first thing to remove is the radio. It has 2 power wires to disconnect. One for the dial lights which is a push and twist connection off your main under dash harness. The other is the main power wire from the ignition switch. Pull straight out on the antenna lead in the upper left back of the radio, pull the 3 vacuum hoses fron the right side of the radio. Take the radio knobs off and you will see the nuts over the radio steams which need to be unscrewed. The radio is also held by a nut to bracket lower right side of radio. The radio goes back and down to come out. I find it easier to drop the radio if I have already removed the sheet metal distribution Y from the end of the defroster case. After you have the radio out,remove the large chrome radio grill from the dash. You will have to disconnect the left and right air duct cables as well as the power wire for the heater/defroster from the ignition switch. You also will find a twist fuse connection for the heater/defroster system to remove. Leave the heater control valves attached to the grill and remove the radio grill. Now you have access to the speedometer.Disconnect the speedometer cable, pull your light sockets from the speedometer, unscrew the three 10/24 nuts holding the speedometer case and pull the speedometer straight back and then out through the opening for the radio grill. Now reach back through the opening for the speedometer to pull the light sockets for the gage lights, disconnect the wires to the gages as well as the 10/24 nuts holding the gages and pull the gages straight back. CAUTION When disconnecting the very small oil pressure line, handle this line gently and don`t bend it. I would mark each wire as you disconnect. If this is original wire be very easy handling the old wire. Removing the gages is a time consuming job and just take your time. The trunk material kit can be bought from Jenkins in NC. He is in Hemmings. I am only familiar with the 47 convert dash which is painted so I have no recommendation on your wood graining color. Right down all that you do in order, as what comes out has to go back. Time has a way of affecting the memory. I find a digital camera is very useful no matter how small the job. Hope this helps.