News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

timing chain cadillac 1970 472ci

Started by Christian, October 05, 2005, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian

hello,

is the this only pinion of camshaft which is covered with plastic or both pinion?
(excuse my bad english)

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Both gears as built by the factory were coated with plastic as a means of silencing chain noise. However, over time as the plastic deteriorates it comes off and can clog the oil pickup screen, thereby starving oil supply and usually takes out rod bearings.  The aftermarket/service replacement gears do not have the plastic coating.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Tim,

I thought it was only the Cam Gear that had the Nylon protective covering.

The chain is a morse type chain, and the Crankshaft Gear was all steel.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Christian

Thank you Tim and Bruce, i understand.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I can only state from personal experience, on an early 1969 (not 1970) body number 1065 (September 1968) build 472, that both gears had nylon silencer coating. This material was found all over oil pickup screen after engine developed serious rod knock, and only partial material remained on gears. Replacement gears were both all steel with no coatings. I think that was why the original message was generated , because if you are putting on new service gears they wont have the coating and you might think you have the wrong gears. You live with a little more noise but much better than rebuilding engine.

Mike @19861

In all my experience that would be the first time I have ever seen both gears coated in nylon. It is very common for all manufacturers to use a nylon coating on the camshft gear, but only the camshft gear.

In a factory installation, steel gears were usually only used on HD or high performance applications, however there are exceptions. Most replacement aftermarket gears are steel.

Mike