News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Deville tilt column repairs-help

Started by Andrew 10642, September 05, 2005, 12:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 10642

Recently I replaced the standard column in my 68 DVC, which was damaged in an attempted theft, with a T&T column from a 68.  Ive got two problems

1.  Im missing the cowl that covers the column when you telescope the wheel.  This attached to the steering wheel, I believe.  What years, makes and models will have a cowl that attaches to the wheel and work with my column?

2.  The spring that grounds the horn goes apesh!t when you tilt the column, cause the horn to beep!!  What is missing?

I had the column in storage for 2+ years before it was installed, and I fear I lost the parts.  I am still looking for them.  All suggestions appreciated

Porter 21919

Andrew ,

Im working on my 67 rear brakes today, I have a shop manual but no scanner.

I would assume the steering column is the same, when my batteries are recharged for my camera Ill photograph the exploded views and e-mail them to you.

I see that lower cover on eBay all the time.

Porter

Mike #19861

This collar, I think would be the same on any tltscopic column up to 1969 when they went to the column mounted ignition switch. That would be 1965-1969?

Check the signal switch harness in the column. It can sometimes ground when the wheel is tilted. I have seen them short out on many occasions causing blown signal and brake light fuses, or unwanted horn blowing. Tilting the wheel thousands of time over the years can wear through the insulation causing the wire to ground at certain wheel angles.

Mike

Porter 21919

Mike,

I know the 68 Chevys and Vettes still had the dash mounted igntion, they started the column igntion in 69, I assumed Cadillac did likewise.

I emailed him shop manual photos of the exploded view T/T column.

Pooter

Andrew 10642

Porter.

Thanks for the emails.  Unfortunately, the steering wheel is not part of the exploded view, so I am still in search of the correct parts ((cover, spring stabilizer(made that up) and turn signal lever))  The horn mechnanism is not shown.

Ill figure it out eventually.  Ill send a photo when I get the car back to clarify the issue.

Andrew 10642

A small update, I have sent everyone who responded emails with photos.  Im assumming we still cant post these on this forum site anywhere

Anyway, I have the column cover and the new spring, just need the turn signal lever.  the photos show the spring installed.   If anyone else would like the photos emailed, let me know

Ray Seigle

hi....please send the photo also....I am having some problems with mine as well on my 70 Deville ragtop....

Thanks.
Ray