News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Very strange noise

Started by denise 20352, December 06, 2005, 03:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

Last night when I left work in the 76, I heard a really strange noise.  The only possible way to describe this is to let you hear it...its not something out of Star Trek, not a UFO landing, but an actual noise from the car.  It was happening a little as I slowed down, then I left a stop, accelerated to about 30 mph, and this was the sound.  It is somewhat similar to a blower motor going out, but much louder and more shrill.  I actually did fiddle with the fan switch, but it had nothing to do with that.  I think it might be a transmission thing.  Has anyone ever heard anything like this, or would want to speculate on what it could be?  It quit making the noise shortly after this, so Im totally puzzled.

http://www.americansoapbox.org/hearse_noise.wav TARGET=_blank>http://www.americansoapbox.org/hearse_noise.wav

thanks

-denise

JIM CLC # 15000

12-06-05
Denise, Seems you have ruled-out UFOs and Star-track, That doesnt leave much that could be making the sound!(except BIG-FOOT)

Is the sound RPM related, etc, water-pump, alternator, or anything else that turns when the engine is going? Did it just happen one time? Could it be the Fan pully bearing goimg bad?
Good Luck, Jim

David #19063

Hmmm...sound like a radio transmission form a one of the five WWII TBM Avengers lost in the Bermuda Triagle in 1945.

But seriously, I had a weird sound in my 69 LeSabre that I would notice when I got over a certain rpm.  Turned out my waterpump bearing was going bad.  Grab your fan blade (when your engine is off and the fan is not spinning) and see if you can rock it forward and backward as opposed to round and round.  If it has play, it is bad.  Sometime you can see it wobble when the engine is running and you rev up the motor.

David

Johan Boltendal # 158

It sounds like a power steering pump running dry, you might want to check the level.
If this fails get a stethoscoop and listen to all moving
parts, TAKE Care not to inter fear with any of them and listen for on even sounds from one of these. Good luck, Johan

BTW what happened to your new car road holding trouble or do I better not ask?

denise 20352

I just replaced the water pump a couple of months ago, so it probably wasnt that.

Also, the noise did not follow engine RPM.  There was a much less intense noise that seemed to follow the speed the first couple of times that I slowed down to stop, but whether the brakes were on or off, didnt matter.  This was a kind of a swishing, whining noise, though, like some manual transmissions when you put them into first gear.

It was after I heard that "swishing whine", the first couple of times that I slowed down, that I got out the sound recorder, then when I sped it up to 30 mph, imagine the luck of getting that outrageous noise on "tape".  What you hear is it, though...after the noise stopped, it never happened again.

I checked the transmission fluid when I got home, and it was just about a pint low, not enough to cause any real trouble.

This is just the most mysterious noise I have ever heard.

-denise

denise 20352

Better not to ask, I guess.  Suffice it to say that Im stuck with the car, and I still dont drive it.

This cold weather is wreaking havoc on my other vehicles, though...the truck has a flat spot that is really annoying until its warmed up, the Chrysler needs a choke coil and maybe a carb, and now theres this.  Since a new car isnt going to float my boat, maybe I should buy a AAA card.

-denise

Mike #19861

Im going to take a stab at it. That is indeed a very eerie noise!

Once with my 75 Impala, I heard such a noise. It turned out to be the fan clutch. The noise went away for some time, only to return once again. Then it went away never to come back.

There was no play in the clutch, nor was it rough in movement. It just made this screaming howling noise.

Mike

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

It is quite possible that you got a stone caught in between the disc rotor and the brake pad, or caliper.

Where did the sound seem to be actually coming from?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

densie

I really couldnt tell where it was coming from.  It sounded like the right front for a while, but sounds reverberate a lot in this vehicle, and it could have been anywhere.  That screeching noise was almost deafening.

-d

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

A screeching noise that isnt engine revolution related, but vehicle speed related could be what I described.

It is funny where noises come from, and their

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
70 CDV

David #19063

I noise like your describing has to be something that is rotating at high speed.

Can you replicate the sound with high rpm in park?

Try removing one fan belt at a time and driving the car.

Have you checked the rear axle fluid?  Trans fluid?  PS fluid?

Does the car have an AIR pump?

Good luck!

David

denise 20352

I finally got up the nerve to drive the coach to work and back, and, no more noise.  It might be my imagination, but the brakes also seem to work better.  Maybe Brucie was right and something was stuck in one of them.

-d

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

Glad to hear that all is quiet on the Western Front.

You would be surprised just where odd bits of stuff gets lodged when thrown up either by passing cars, or even your own tyres.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

12-14-05
Denise, Bruce is correct! Tyres will throw-up derbis, But, Tires dont usually do that. Only throws mud and water. LOL
Good Luck, Merry Christmas, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jim,

You forget that tyres have tread, and the stones get picked up between the tread grooves and thrown around.

How else does one get stone chips in the paint, or broken windscreens.   Mud and water doesnt do that.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

12-15-05
Bruce, Thanks for enlighting me. I didnt know the difference between "tyres" & "tires". Oh well, learn something every day!
Heres hopeing you and Mrs Reynolds have the best Christmas ever. And a Happy New Year.  (Even though you do start a day early in your part of the world).
Good luck, Jim
PS I keep getting rejections when I try to send you an email.
   The message forum is the only way Ican commucate with you.