News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What kind of Car cover?

Started by Pete Meyaart, January 23, 2006, 11:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Meyaart

Howdy,

I live here in South Florida, and while I do cave a canopied carport, I was thinking I ought to get a car cover for my 76 Eldo as well.  I see plenty of cheap ones at the auto shop and on eBay.  I expect that theyre cheap for a reason.  I see quite a lot of Covercraft covers, but I wonder which type is best?  My awning wont completely protect the car from sun exposure and we are less than a mile from the ocean, so I have salt to consider.  Any suggestions?  Heres a sample of covers Ive seen at just one website:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/Frames.asp?URL=Covercraft5Fcustom2Easp3FCID3D1 TARGET=_blank>http://www.carcoverworld.com/Frames.asp?URL=Covercraft5Fcustom2Easp3FCID3D1

denise 20352

Stay away from those $35 ones on Ebay.  I got one for my 76 Superior hearse that was about 10 too short, and the seller didnt answer my email, so I put it on the 2004 Mercury instead (if ever there was a car that needed a cover).  It lasted less than a year before it started ripping, not around a protrusion as you might expect, but all over the middle of it.  The fabric just disintegrated.

-d

George Woodford clc21025

I purchased the Covercraft HD Plus; I recall that is what it is called.  It cost about $450 with the cable and lock.  I believe you get what you pay for when purchasing a car cover.  Remember to buy the HD Plus for the Eldorado convertible verses the coupe, because it has the mirror pockets.  I wish it had a pocket for the hood ornament.

John #22631

George,
  What was the name of the company you bought it from? The tail fins on my 59 SDV like to pop holes in them about a month after using them!:( Kind of makes it easy to put on in windy conditions though. LOL
John
59 Sedan deVille
"70 deVille Convertible

Bill Edmunds - #5484

I slit two tennis balls and use them on the pointed ends of the fins of my 1960 6237 coupe.  I also use tennis balls to keep the hood ornament of my 1976 Eldo from piercing its car cover.

George Woodford clc21025

autosupermart.com; I bought the Weathershield HD Part # C10286HG for my 1976 Eldorado Biarritz.  This part is actually for the convertible, but I wanted the mirror pockets that were not available for the one for the coupe.  It fits very well, other than for the hood ornament.  The company suggest to place a formed piece of cardboard over the hood ornament to avoid pushing a hole through the cover.  You could mark the cover where the hood ornament is located and return it to the manufacture to have a pocket installed.  I noticed the price has increased since I purchased my cover last year.

Fred Garfield

For my 59, I cut up an old half-inch dense foam camping pad, folded and rubber-glued them into triangular pockets and put them on the fins. They stay put and work well so far.

denise 20352

Do they soak up moisture?  That would be my biggest concern.

-d