News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

64 Engine Parts Numbers

Started by Jack, February 20, 2006, 11:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I recently had a discussion with some folks about the complete rebuilding of my 64 Coupe engine and several items came up that probably should be researched a bit before disassembling the engine.

This car was ordered/delivered with a factory build Low Compression engine. Replacing some parts could be different than the standard engine and may not be interchangeable.

We pretty much know that the pistons on an LC engine were different, but what about the heads?
The cam?

So, I am appealing to anyone who would have a 1964 complete parts catalog, with part numbers, to check for me to see if there are different p/ns for the heads, cam, and of course, the pistons.

The folks I have been talking with seem to think they can get LC pistons without special order. This is still a testy issue and my feeling is that if they are not easily available we should settle for the STD pistons which are readily available. But this may require a different cam, etc.

Meanwhile any suggetsions will be graciously accepted !

Jack

DOug Houston

Looked at my parts book. Pistons are supplied for regular or low compression in all sizes.

Camshafts are the same across the board.

Heads differ for Air Injection Reactor or without.

Now, whether or not Cadillac could supply the LC pistons is sort of unlikely for a 42 year old car. I wonder if its reasonable to use standard pistons, and forget about the LC on your engine. The heads would probably not need to be changed.

Hope that this helps.

Jack

Hi Doug,

Well, thats good news to hear ! Thanks so much for your effort !

We were most concerned about the heads. Things like cams are easy to get but LC pistons are pretty much out of question - we have decided to return the engine to the STD 429 with the regular 10.5 pistons.

Interestlngly, there were a couple of fellows in Texas that rebuilt their 429 with LC pistons (9.5 CR) that were designed for another engine.

I did some research on this and found that there are STD pistons available for a Ford 429 that are almost a perfect fit, bore and stroke !

But, the prospect of finding these perfect pistons are too daunting and besides it will be refreshing to have that extra oomph from the 10.5 CR.

Thanks again Doug for your help.

Jack