News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is this for real??

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, February 22, 2006, 07:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

I take his attack on and fear mongering about the Modified Chapter as a personal attach on me.  I have put in a lot of time and money to get the Chapter accepted by the Club.  In the past Mr. Houston has posted about modified cars in general and I politely responded to correct his wrong thinking.  This time he attack the Chapter and I felt that was going over the line.  I dont feel that I need to defend the modifieds (I assume you mean the cars not the Chapter) as the only one that has to be happy with a car is its owner and not a single other person.  Now I will defend the Modified Chapter from Mr. Houstons attempt to spread falsehoods.

Mr Houston,
  The Modified Chapter has not in the past and do not currently have any plans what so ever to judge modified cars at a GN.  As you can see above the current chapter members are totally happy with their cars and do not feel the need to show or have their cars judged by others.  I can assume that either you are grossly misinformed on this matter or that you intentionally wish to spread FUD.  Either way I hope this matter is now corrected.

Thanks,
Michael Stamps
(aka Stampie to my friends)

Michael Stamps 19507

Please excuse the spelling and other errors in the above post.  Sometimes my fingers get faster than my brain.  Plus Im still on my first Dr. Pepper of the day so I havent gotten enough sugar yet.

Stampie

Fred Garfield 22310

Porter, your 67 is a gem. Keep me posted on any progress.

Ive got a 59 series 62 6W sedan (her name is Eldora). I adopted her on ebay last July from a transparent little liar representing the corporation in Washington state that let her rot in their parking lot for 3 years. As soon as she arrived, I admitted her to my critical care unit. Initial assessment revealed 3 leaky brake cylinders, slight PS groan, 5 bad tires, rusted rims, rusted radiator, marginal AFB and generator, 4 corroded freeze plugs with one starting to leak, bad belts/hoses/sparks/wires and a host of minor symptoms.

She could walk with assistance, but couldnt run without faltering. Naturally, I rushed her into surgery. I had cause for optimism, since her compression was at 145-160, her Jetaway shifted like it should, and her body was straight and solid with no filler or major rust problems. Her interior was miraculously pristine. Seven months later, shes well on her way to recovery.

She has an Edelbrock 1406 with kickdown plate harvested from the AFB, open Edelbrock air cleaner, MSD 6A controller, MSD Blaster II coil, Pertronix mag pickup, MSD Superconductor wires, cold sparks gapped at 45, and plenty of TEL in her freshly cleaned tank and lines. All other major issues have been corrected and she screams joyously down the freeway, holding steady and true at 90 on her brand new Diamondback white walls. Her kickdown is whiplash ferocious and she sleeps every night in her very own 20x30 climate controlled bedroom, warm and cozy under her dust cover. She even has a new boyfriend, Tonys jet black 63 Super Sport in the adjacent stall.

Nothing is too good for my little girl. As soon as I have an excuse (will probably be the freeze plug rears) to pull her engine, everything under her hood will get Freds famous patented "uber alles" treatment, detailed to the max. Still in the pipeline is meat locker cold AC, front discs, chrome-off paint (original Olympic white) and serious stereo with monstrous amp and subs. Quick-connect Auto Meter triple gauges and stereo head unit will grace the otherwise useless glove compartment, all mounted atop the compartment door on a custom plexiglass facing (thank heaven for Tap Plastics!). Instrument cluster upgrade will include super bright blue LEDs and blood red LED-lit needles. All original parts will be meticulously preserved, including the rear shelf which I will use as a template to cut a new one out of masonite and then proceed with stereo cut-outs, flashing LED 3rd brake light, etc.

Am I a good Daddy or what?    

Porter 21919

"Porter, your 67 is a gem. Keep me posted on any progress. "

Fred,

I wouldnt go that far but it is a Ca. car that came to Ma. and then Me. Typical NE winter sheetmetal salt rust in the usual places, makes my 66 CDV look like it belongs in the Smithsonian.

For the 45 mile flatbed $ 150 I grabbed it, plugs were clean and the brake pedal has no wear on it, weird car. Soaked the cylinders with ATF and turned the engine over by hand, only needed a set of breaker points and it runs smooth and strong, incredible. All the A.I.R. stuff has been removed by me.

Basically a low mileage parts car, strong engine and solid frame, gives me a nice hobby to get it mechanically rebuilt shipshape, sheetmetal patches welded in and a custom paint job.

It will never have AC again or any other function not required, less weight the better. Only a lunatic on medication would restore this car, you can buy one in mint condition for $ 10K easy. Im just breathing some new life into the old gal and heaven forbid, relegate her to the part-it-out bin. The strong 429 and the switch pitch tranny are the heart and sole of this beast and she will snap your neck.

Your 59 SDV was rescued by you, have fun, a truely magnifcant piece of Detroit iron engineering the likes of which we will never see again.

Restore the restoreable, part out the too far gone unrestorable and everything else inbetween to each their own and their budget.

Many people here in the past have mentioned how cars languish with the intent to restore and rust away and turn into parts cars.

This is not a hobby for the uncommitted or financially challenged individual.

66 CDV : Cadzilla  67 CDV: The Evil Sister

Porter

Barry Wheeler #2189

To all of this, I will add one thought. Why hasnt anyone "jumped" on the 1940 Sixty Special in the "for sale" listings? Hes only dumped twenty grand into it and its still not done... And it looks pretty good.
I maintain that when you start messing with a car, ANY car, not just a Cadillac, you are throwing your money away for your OWN enjoyment, and youd better be willing to live with that fact. When you try to sell your "Pride and Joy," (and I freely admit that you guys that modify a car love it every bit as much as I love mine), if you find a person that agrees with, and loves what you did to the car, and pays your price, you are lucky beyond words. Most of the time, your investment in time and dollars means zilch to anyone else. They would do it a different way, or paint it a slightly lighter shade of auction red. This is my main argument about altered cars. You cant get a fraction of your money back to do your next car. (And there is ALWAYS going to be a "next" car.)
Any car, that is restored to original will maintain its value to MORE prospective buyers than a car that is altered. Period.

Michael Stamps 19507

I can say that I totally agree with you Barry except for the 1940 Sixty Special.  Im closing on a new house next month so Im not allowed any more projects even as tempted as I am.  I have owned and sold cars both stock and modified.  You are right to a degree but what you havent looked at is what is the market for ... say totally stock 1970 SDV?  That is the car that I bought for $800 a few years back.  Great parts car for a restorer but shes my little project.  She will be done the way I want her done and yes I have three times her valve in engine parts sitting in my living room.  Now my 60 Flat top will stay the way she was built.  Nothing like her.  If she was a woman I would marry her knowing all her flaws.  Sorry for the ramble but I just wanted to give everyone a little view of my Cadillac world.

Stampie

Porter 21919

" When you try to sell your "Pride and Joy," (and I freely admit that you guys that modify a car love it every bit as much as I love mine), if you find a person that agrees with, and loves what you did to the car, and pays your price, you are lucky beyond words. Most of the time, your investment in time and dollars means zilch to anyone else. They would do it a different way, or paint it a slightly lighter shade of auction red. This is my main argument about altered cars. You cant get a fraction of your money back to do your next car. (And there is ALWAYS going to be a "next" car.) Any car, that is restored to original will maintain its value to MORE prospective buyers than a car that is altered. Period."

Barry,

Well said, a factory correct car will draw top dollar, Im a Corvette afficiando and former owner of two, you dont mess with a masterpiece. One was a 78 Pace Car and I spent quite some time waiting  to find the 66 "trophy blue" (light metallic blue ) well optioned #s matching stock roadster, with optional hardtop no less and factory AC, very rare option, only 10percent of production.

Having said that my 66 plain jane CDV would sell for more money with my custom paint and vinyl top, the car just looks better, otherwise bone stock.

I know of a wealthy individual that had a 57 Chevy pickup customized to the tune of $ 50K, got tired of it after awhile and sold it for $ 25k. Had a custom glass bodied car built by Downs manufacturing and has since ordered another custom car, must be nice to have a wealthy wife, she is loaded.

The restorers and the customizers make the profits in this game, or the dealers with cash, like our buddy Marv "LVDG", the notorious 60 "Motorama" car with the TV, haha

This hobby is a $$$ sink hole for the rest of us, in case anyone didnt know, LOL My hobby cars are just material costs, my labor is free (hobby), no intended resale value for $1.50 an hour for my labor.

Porter

Michael Stamps 19507

LOL ... guess Im talking to myself a lot lately.  Anyway I just wanted to sum up my last post.  I buy and own these cars for the enjoyment of the car.  I have never worried about the resale value of one of them.  It has always been for my enjoyment.

Stampie

denise 20352

> And, age might just have its advantages

What are they, Brucie?  Im only 42, and I get up feeling like Ive been hit by a truck every day.  I can only imagine what the aches and pains are gonna be like when I get to be your age. hehe

-d

denise 20352

> If she was a woman I would marry her knowing all her flaws

Still looking for a wife, Stampie?  ;)

denise 20352

My personal opinion is that once you buy a car, its yours.  Do whatever you want.  If the original cars werent worth so much more than the modifieds, there probably wouldnt be so many of them.  The high price of an original would certainly be enough to make me think twice about changing anything.

I remember people getting really upset because I was going to make a hole in my dash to put in a radio.  I finally mentioned that it was a hearse and already had holes in the dash for the casket table switch and coachmakers emblem, but I was actually being polite and trying to spare feelings.  I could have said that its my car and Ill do whatever I want with it.

-denise

Michael Stamps 19507

LOL after you turned me down I havent found one worth having.

Stampie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

Well, we forget things, just like Doug cant remember his Membership Number.

And, once one "gets a life" (Retired), then one can get up when one wants to, do things one is able to do, and take time doing it, and goes to bed when one feels like it.

Plus, we get to be a burden on our children.

Bruce,
The 58 yo Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

DJW #13918

It is obvious that we all have strong opinions regarding stock vs modified, drivers vs trailer queens, personal restorations vs professional restorations and everything in between, but it is a shame when it gets personal and over heated. Lets just share our various passions in a civil fashion. Im a "stock" kind of a guy just looking for a "modified" kind of a guy (or gal, sorry Denise) for parts and peices they dont want or need. There is a place for all. The modified chapter is a fact in the organization and welcomed by most. There is no substitute for passion and fine workmanship.