News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wrist pins in Cadillac 390 pistons

Started by Matt Innocenzi, June 16, 2008, 02:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Innocenzi

Can anyone provide insight as to how the wrist pins are inserted into the pistons of Cadillac 390 engines?  Usuaully, wrist pins are held in with spring clips and include a bushing.  I have a 1962 Cadillac 390 engine and got new pistons, but there are no spring clips or bushings provided.  Were the pistons back then pressed in?  If so would that eliminate the need for the spring clips and the bushing that are found in other engines?  Any insight to this is appreciated!

Thank you!
Matt Innocenzi
CLC #21633
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: Matt Innocenzi on June 16, 2008, 02:07:07 PM
Can anyone provide insight as to how the wrist pins are inserted into the pistons of Cadillac 390 engines?  Usuaully, wrist pins are held in with spring clips and include a bushing.  I have a 1962 Cadillac 390 engine and got new pistons, but there are no spring clips or bushings provided.  Were the pistons back then pressed in?  If so would that eliminate the need for the spring clips and the bushing that are found in other engines?  Any insight to this is appreciated!

Thank you!
Matt Innocenzi
CLC #21633

Matt,

I remember back in the mid 60's having to get my 283 Chevy wrist pins pressed, centered & set. I just looked at the service manual for the 1961 Cadillac and it shows the wrist pins being pressed in.

Jack

Jack

Matt Innocenzi

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply.  Engineering-wise how would this work?  What keeps the wrist pin from "walking" side to side and damaging the cylinder walls?  Also, without a bushing, wouldn't the forged connecting rod wear out the aluminum piston?

Thanks!
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood