News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Price & Availability of Freon (R-12).

Started by Ralph B., May 02, 2006, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph B.

I posed this question on the tail end of another thread, but noone responded.

Does anyone know the current price and availability of Freon (R-12) ?

Has anyone heard that there is alot of black market R-12 in the marketplace, brought in from abroad, and possibly of questionable quality ?

Jerry

Had to have my system (1970 CDV) completly re-charged last fall. The work was done at the local Firestone Dealer. They said they did not know how much longer they would have Freon-12 available. It took 4 1/2 lbs at $62.50 per lb. Three years ago I had my 1979 converted to 134a at Jiffy lube. The bill was $98.00 for the entire job. Good luck !

Ralph B.

Jerry - How does your R-134 conversion perform. Do you remember what the same system was like with R-12, so you can compare cold performance, etc. ?

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Hi, I was driving my 79 Brougham back from the post office a few moments ago, that I converted last year to 134. I had it set on 70, and its 77 out, and it was blowing cold. Not r-12 cold, but comfortable. Last year, about this time, we drove it to VA, and the only problem was it iced up now and then and stopped cooling for awhile. This was on the Interstate at high speeds. So, we just opened the windows for a few miles and then it worked OK again. On the trip to Des Moines to the GN, I cant recall we had much problem with it.

I still have to change my programmer. I found a new one on eBay, and just havent gotten around to switching it yet. I think I need it, as sometimes during last winters infrequent driving, it would blow only cold air on A/C. It seemed to do better on the econ mode to get heat. Lacking the fantastic metering tool mentioned in the shop manual, should carefully noting the position of the lever before taking it loose suffice for re-installing it?

denise 20352

The most important thing is to get the door closing completely on the cold side, so you could probably approximate it that way, then drive the lever all of the way over to cold and adjust till the door is shut.

-d

David #19063

Hi Barry,

Is the metering tool an electric box looking thing?  I think I have one of those and a tune up box too from the late 70s.  Are these helpful?

David

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

David, the tester is J-23678, and it needs a harness adapter J-23678-77. The tester has a calibrated dial and a soft handle on the top of it. It would probably be of help.

dale jackson 20895

Hi,

I have one 30 pound containor that almost emtry and serval cans r-12 I been saving for years and use it when I need it.

I have the legral paperwork to buy and sell freon. Last time I bought it was like 35 or 40 bucks an can. You can still buy it from ebay or internet suplliers such as http://www.refrigerantsales.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.refrigerantsales.com/

You cant buy unless you have legral paperwork like from epa like me. http://www.epatest.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.epatest.com/ Here is link the take the test and get paperwork to buy it legrally.

I took my my test in 1991 or 1992 and it never will expire. I been buying freon for years and never had problem using my card . Without card you cant buy it and dont bother trying to buy it without card. Its an 10000 fine and If get caught importing it from mexico or china its 100000 or 1000000 doller fine.

When I lived in mexico It 5 bucks an can I would install in car before I drove accross the bordor. Its ok to install in car but dont try bring full cans across the the bordor. Its not worth it.

All the freon in usa today was made before 1996 and been sitting On selfs or wharehouses since then.  They  have machices today that  will clean up dirty freon and you can use it again.

Dont mix any freons tothother it ruins it.

Good luck On geting freon if you need bad. All I say take the the test and get the 609 paperwork and your all set.

Dale

Lars Kneller 8246

I have not had any trouble getting Freon here in NW Indiana.  My theory is the demand is dropping off because all the old cars still on the road that are daily drivers are getting old and most of their owners dont feel its worth the expense to fix the A/C when it stops working.