News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brake Fluid DOT 3 vs DOT 5

Started by Scott Howard, May 09, 2006, 07:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Howard

I am in the process of a complete brake system rebuild on my 1962 Series 62 CV. Has anyone used DOT 5 brake fluid?  Good? Bad? or Indifferent?   Thanks Scott.   CLC #22304

Larry

I can give you what little I know.

I have 2 collectible vette that I run dot 5 in. I was told its better for the vette calipers to avoid leaks

On any of my other cars I run plain on regular brake fluid.

The problems with silicone is

It loves and absorbs moisture.
it gets microscopic air bubbles in it with a normal pump and bleed brake bleed (must use a power bleeder to avoid the bubbles)

its expensive

Geoff Newcombe #4719

DOT 3 readily absorbs moisture, not DOT 5.  I use DOT 5 whenever I do a fluid change, I have used it in all of my 60s Cadillacs and other older cars that I have owned over the years and have it in the 60 Cad. I own now.  DOT 5 is used by the Harley-Davidson factory in all their new motorcycles and has been for many years.  It is a real boon to old car nuts especially in cars that are not driven much.  A few older brake systems (especially British cars I am told) have different rubber compounds in their seals that are not compatible with DOT 5.  I have always been able to bleed my brake systems with the good old pump and bleed method and have never had to use a power bleeder.  DOT 5 suppliers can be found in Hemmings that sell in bulk (gallon containers) that help keep the price down, worth the extra price in my opinion.

Scott Howard

Thanks Geoff, That is pretty much what I thought and have been finding out from other people.  Scott CLC # 22304

Art #22010

When rebuilt my 49 I went to DOT 5 as my master is located along frame rail.  Far superior.   System must be completly drained of old, preferably new wheel cylinders also.
  like they say, set it and forget it.  Art