News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 Eldo antennae, rear speaker, AC repair.

Started by Johnny #662, May 12, 2006, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny #662

Finally took care of the little repairs that were necessary to get my 85 Eldo back to perfect condition.  All that was needed was the antennae to be replaced, rear speakers replaced and the AC recharged. Nothing really major, but all jobs somewhat unique in their nature.

I first ordered the antenna and speakers online from Audio Allies, webpage:  

http://www.audioallies.com/contact.asp TARGET=_blank>http://www.audioallies.com/contact.asp

I would highly recommend them for audio equipment.  I decided on them after researching several online companies.  Their prices are very comptitive, and all the merchandise arrived as promised, and was brand new in factory sealed boxes.  

I first put the rear speakers in myself.  I got Sony 4x10 2 way speakers. They were a perfect fit and the only modification needed was to cut off the original connector and splice on connectors to fit on the speaker. The sound is a vast improvement over the originals.

After reading posts concerning how to put in a new antenna, and what was involved, I decided it was a job better done by "professionals" I took it to a local body shop, who said they could do it.  Long story short, they said they took off the hood to get at the antenna, and it still wasnt that easy.  They also had to modify the connections to make the antenna work as it is supposed to.  All in all they did a fantastic job.  Since I didnt use a factory antenna, they werent able to make the antenna escutcheon flush with the fender, which is alright with me.  It sticks up about a half an inch.  They also informed me that the antenna has a solenoid attached to prevent it from keep running.

Next came the AC, which the shop said they could handle.  They recommended I use Freeze 12, and told me where to get it.  I got 5 cans at $11.00 a can. The recharging went real smooth with no problems......except.......they said the blower motor stopped working!  When I picked the car up, I took it for a short ride, like around 10-15 minutes, and the blower motor kicked in!  I guess the car fixed itself LOL

Anyway there were my little adventures in bringing the car back to being perfect again.  Hopefully it will be of some help to others that might have the same problems in the future.

Doug Houston

Gasp! Through all this, I hope that these Sony speakers have the proper impedance for your radio. Most Delco sets use 10 Ohm speakers.

Granted, the speakers you bought are a bit beyond the originals, but I recently bought new Delco 10 ohm speakers for about $15.00 each

Johnny #662

Quote from: Doug HoustonGasp! Through all this, I hope that these Sony speakers have the proper impedance for your radio. Most Delco sets use 10 Ohm speakers.

Granted, the speakers you bought are a bit beyond the originals, but I recently bought new Delco 10 ohm speakers for about $15.00 each

These are the speakers that I got:

http://www.audioallies.com/GetItem.asp?Item=XS2DW4121&brand=Sony&Class=CarSpeakers2FSubs TARGET=_blank>http://www.audioallies.com/GetItem.asp?Item=XS2DW4121&brand=Sony&Class=CarSpeakers2FSubs

I used a couple of search engines to find the speakers that would "fit" a 85 Eldo, and these were ones that were recommended.  They seem to do the job, and while the price might be a little higher then other speakers, they were very reasonable for these particular speakers. Many of the quality speakers were in the $60-$100 range.  Not being a audiophile, I went for a "brand name".  A Couple of years ago, I replaced one of the speakers with a speaker I got at Pep Boys. Naturally it was a low price and its performance reflected that.  When I decided to replace both speakers, I wanted to do it right, and get good quality speakers.  Since I still have the original Delco radio, I saw no need to get the higher end speakers, since I thought it would be overkill.  I am satisfied with both the speakers and the company I bought them from.

Johnny #662

For some reason, the link I provided does not show the speakers.  Here is the information on them.  They are Sony XS-W4121 4 x 10 Inch 2-way Speakers (pair).

Buy with confidence! See our no hassle 30 day Satisfaction Guarantee.

This item is usually available, but normally drop ships from a distributor.  Please call us toll free at 1-866-237-2559 for us to check current stock at our distributor.  In some cases, there may be a delay of one or two days prior to shipment.

Audio Allies Price:  $57.95
Shipping Cost:  $11.95
Sales Tax (NC Only):  $0.00
Total Cost:  $69.90

Select shipment mode:  GroundGroundNext Day2nd Day3rd Day  
Enter your zip code:  
   Click the map above to see estimated transit time

To see expedited shipping costs or NC State Sales Tax, please enter your zip code.

Product Information  
Basic Features
Paper cone tweeter

Polypropylene woofer

Frequency Response: 30-23,000 Hz

Mounting Depth: 2-1/2"

Peak Power (Maximum): 150 watts

Power range: 2-35 watts RMS

Sensitivity: 91 dB

Warranty: 1-year