News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 convertible vacuum diagram

Started by rich nalavany #849, May 28, 2006, 12:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich nalavany #849

Putting the dash back together after a repaint ,need to know how the vacuum lines are routed?

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Rich- I finished a 47 convert about a year ago so I hope my memory is still good. Assuming you have the correct vacuum routing from the fuel pump through the firewall, if not let me know and I will send you a fire wall picture. Once the line is through the firewall the 1/4 inch rubber vacuum line will go straight up the inside of the firewall to just short of the top. There you will have a Y fitting with one leg of the Y going to the middle port of the 3 vacuum antenna ports located on the upper right side of the radio. The two outside ports are the vacuum lines that then go across the top of your dash, down & out the firewall to the top and bottom ports of the antenna cylinder.The other leg of the Y takes a short 1/4 inch vacuum line and connects to the outside port of the 3 port wiper switch.Here my memory is a lttle fussy. The short pice might go to the middle port of the switch but I think it will work either way. The other outside port of that switch takes a 3/16 vacuum line and is then connected to the small 3/16 port on the wiper motor. The inside port of the wiper switch takes a 1/4 inch line and is connected to the large vacuum port on the viper motor. If you have windshield washers on the car then just prior to the 1/4 inch line connection to the wiper motor there is a Y in the line. One leg of the Y to the motor while the other leg of the Y is connected to the top port on the backside of the windshield washer switch. The bottom port of that switch is then connected to the port on top of the vacuum can on top of the washer assembly.The small 1/8 inch port on the side of the washer assembly is the water line and is routed back through the firewall then up to the very top of the dash across the underside of the dash to just under the center of the windshield and right under the bolt head that holds the very back short piece of center hood molding to the hood. This bolt also holds a clip which inturn holds a T. Each leg of that T then is routed to the water ports of the left and right wiper transmissions.I recommend that before you put your radio back in the car you plug the line going to the radio and start the car. Then operate the wiper switch to see if everything works.If the wipers don`t work, switch the short peice of line from the outside  to the middle port of the switch.Devise some means of holding all those vacuum lines above the radio so when you put the radio back in the car you don`t pull a line loose. The radio is bad enough getting it up and attached without hanging up on the vacuum lines. I hope you understand my ramblings. Good luck and have fun.

Rich Nalavany

Bill;
                      Thank you so much for your detailed
          responce to my vacuum problem. Your help is greatly
          appreciated.              
                              Rich