News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A modern air filter for a 47 ?

Started by Bob 13906, June 29, 2006, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob 13906

I would like to put a modern(K&N type)air filter disguised inside my oil bath housing.  I want to retain the stock appearance. Does anybody know the CFM requirements for a stock 346 engine? Has anyone done this type of improvement? Thanks, Bob

Baxter Culver #17184

An easy conversion is to use a Fram CA 148 (146?).  Just remove the oil bath insert, pop in the dry filter and reattach the top, which matches the circumfrence of the Fram.  You will be able to see the upper area of the dry filter but most do not mind that.

Wanting to keep mine looking stock, I gutted the oil bath, sealed its bottom area, and drilled a series of holes (about 3/4 diameter) around the bottom of the gutted oil bath.  The Fram filter then fit into the oil bath, and, with the top attached, still looks like the old oil bath-- unless you get up close and peer down into the assembly.  Then you can see the holes and dry element inside the oil bath.  

Either system provides more than enough air flow for the engine.  Either filter element should have a corresponding size from K&N, if that is what you want to use.  

I have pictures.

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

A K&N kit is available from AllCads and maybe others.