News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fender Extensions - fiberglas vs. ABS

Started by Bill Edmunds - #5484, August 16, 2006, 11:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Edmunds - #5484

I need to replace the fender extensions on my 1976 Eldorado and wondered what folks experience had been in using either fiberglas and ABS extensions.  Im aware of the problems many have encountered in fitting them correctly and my body guy leans towards fiberglas for ease of reworking them.  Whats been your experience?  Any one feel strongly regarding the various vendors selling them?  Thanks for your insights.

Harry Carlson

Bill,

When I had my 76 Converible repainted, my painter ordered ABS.  I didnt have a viewpoint one way or the other.

The ABS fits fine and is probably going to last way longer than the original rubber.  They have been on for several years and are dimensionally stable so far.  Sorry I never took the trouble to learn the vendor.

The only trouble I have is, the oil change guy slammed the hood, it doesnt come straight down, and it hit the new ABS and chipped it.  Oh, well, good thing my 76 is just a driver.  I havent gotten the chip fixed.  It stares at me every time I open the hood, reminding me to be gentle when i close it.    

Michael Shawgo

The person I purchased the fillers from said that the ABS plastic was much more durable.

However, the tail light fillers that I bought for my 74 Eldorado have been a big headache (I think theyre all the same for 74-76).  The new ones are not exactly like the originals--they are missing the little flat ridge along the bottom of the tail light opening, which slides into the bottom part of the tail light.  Hence you have about a 1" gap between the new filler and the bottom of the tail light.

Someone mentioned trying to re-angle the tail lights so that the bottom thrusts out further, but I tried that for several hours and couldnt get it to fit.

If some of you with 76 Eldos can answer me this though--I notice from photos that the 76s have a chrome border around the tail lights which looks like it would fill in this gap.  Is that chrome border attached to the tail light, or is it a separate piece?  Because Im wondering if I could get this chrome border and put it around my 74 tail lights, to fill in the gap?

Mike Shawgo

Harry Carlson

Mike,

When I had my 76 repainted (incorrect GM Truck bright red!),and I replaced the extensions with new ABS ones, my painter supplied me with a plastic trim that "looks" chrome-like.  

It has a U-shaped cross section and slips on to the fender extension, which as I said earlier is ABS.  Again, I dont know if it is "correct" or a later-year substitution.  It can be cut and trimmed to fit around the corners.

The stuff must come in a roll because I got about a 6 length of it.

I never got around to putting the trim on yet, I should ask around what kind of adhesive to use.  Some of it must go on the trunk lid because there is an indentation in the sheet metal on my 76 so the trim doesnt hit the body.

Regards, Harry Carlson

Mike Shawgo

Harry,

Yes, that is called "beading" I think.  That is not what Im talking about--Im talking about the pieces of plastic that cover the horizontal tail lights.  The 76 Eldo tail light photos Ive seen look like the red lens is surrounded by chrome.  On the 74, the tail lights do not have this, and the replacement plastic pieces leave about a 1" gap between the plastic and the bottom of the horizontal tail light.  Was this an issue with your 76?

Mike

Bill Edmunds - #5484

Harry and Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts.  

There is chrome beading around the fender extensions and along the base of the bumper filler where it abuts the bumper.  NOS pieces are extremely rare and, accordingly, most folks are now using the plastic material made as door edge guards that can be purchased in rolls.  Its more rounded than the flat pieces that came on the car but is an available and economical replacement.  Silicon adhesive allows this to be removed with out damage.

There is a stainless trim piece above the tail lights that is held to the inside of the trunk lid by two screws.  This complements the trim around the top and sides of the license plate cavity which is similarly attached to the trunk lid.

There is a chromed metal piece that surrounds the bottom and sides of the taillights that has a base (bottom) about 3/4" wide.  It sounds like this may be the missing piece that fills the gap beneath the tail lights.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Harry Carlson #16432

So that bead is a door edge guard!  I thought it looked familiar.

Its raining here in suburban Detroit so Im not taking "Big Red" out on to Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise unless it clears up.  While Im waiting maybe Ill go get some silicon adhesive and tinker with it.

I was just chatting for the fun of it, but the conversation became useful.

Regards, Harry Carlson #16432

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Ive never seen a definitive answer on this topic and it has been brought up several times in recent years.  It seems that everyone complains about the fit of both ABS and fiberglass, that a lip is often missing, the bumper height or taillight needs to be adjusted, etc.  Has ANYONE found a vendor who makes a replacement part that is an exact perfect fit without modifications?  My pieces are crumbling and the car only has 18,000 miles.  One piece was cracked when I got the car at 7000 miles and I naively thought the car might have been backed into something.  Ive considered making my own from fiberglass gel and screening, but it would be a messy job.

68 Eldorado, 77 Biarritz

Mike Shawgo

Jim,

It depends on the model--Ive replaced the fillers on a 73 Eldorado, and everything fit fine.  On my 74 Eldo, all the front pieces and the rear fin pieces fit fine--it was only the tail light pieces that were a problem.  So, for your cars you may not have any problem with the aftermarket fillers.  I got mine from Musselmans in Texas I believe.  Even though they sell both ABS and fiberglass, they recommended the ABS, and said they get lots of complaints about the fiberglass--it apparently doesnt hold up as well.  Shop around for the best price--Ive ordered from a couple different suppliers, and they all seem like they are the same.  I have a feeling theres only one supplier that all the parts places get theirs from.

--Mike