News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Need Super Waterpump Rebuilder !

Started by Bruce Berghoff - CLC # 1476, August 04, 2006, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Berghoff - CLC # 1476

Looking for the name and number of the company that rebuilds flathead Cadillac & Lasalle waterpumps by remachining and adding seals to replace original packing on impeller shafts. I believe someone posted this information not long ago on this web site. Thanks for your help.

John Washburn

Bruce,

This Washburn is no relation so just passing the info on.

Jerry Washburn
Master Machinist
2732 Limerick Road
San Pablo, CA.

Monday thru Thursday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Phone: 510+724-5774

Bruce, San Pablo is North of Oakland, which is across the bay from San Franciso, so now you know.

Your buddy

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Cliff graubard #1430

Contact Penn Lenson at pennsue@earthlink.net
He has been rebuilding them for most of the big resellers for years and they are much better.

Bruce Berghoff

Thanks John & Cliff... Ive followed both of your suggestions. BB

baxter culver #17184

Bruce,
You can buy a water pump kit from Coopers for about $50.00.  The "lip" seals that replace the packing are available from either CR (p/n 4933) or OMC (p/n 327031).  I dont remember if lip seals are part of the Cooper kit but they should be fitted.
There is no need for machining.  Simply disassemble the old pump, clean it up in a bead blaster, and install the new components.  The Cooper kit comes with a new shaft, impeller, bearings and bushings, etc.

Bruce Berghoff - CLC 1476

Baxter... Thanks for the info... It just missed my UPS shipment to Penn Lenson this afternoon ! Penn is offering a rebuild featuring: a new oversize bronze impeller; new stainless steel shaft; ceramic/graphite stainless seals; and sintered bronze bearings. I mean , how can you get any more high-tech than that without going to needle bearings and solid state injected lubrication ? I appreciate all of the responses and trust your tips will solve my immediate problems. BB

baxter culver #17184

Wow.  With that assembly now attached to your engine, you will need a restrictor plate under your carburettor.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Whit Otis 1188

Bruce,
I rebuilt the water pump on my 40 75 series over 20 years ago using Baxters method and the results were excellent.  Be sure to use the CR 4933 seal as it is viton and will withstand the heat and ethylene glycol environment.  If you use someone elses seal (National, et al) just be sure it is viton.  I had a machinist make a new shaft out of chrome plated rod stock used in hydraulic cylinders and it worked perfectly... no wear or rust pits after 20 years.  As Baxter said, no machining necessary.  I used the standard water pump impeller and the car has never had a heating problem (except when my shutterstat failed).