News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Gear ratio

Started by Paul Varcoe, August 02, 2006, 07:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Varcoe

Can anyone give me the gear ratio for a 79 Deville?

Porter

How many times are you going to ask this question ?

Re: 1978 Sedan Devile gear ratio  

Porter

Tuesday, 8/01/06 6:25 PM    

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad78d.htm TARGET=_blank>http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad78d.htm  

Complete Thread
Subject Posted By Post Date
 1978 Sedan Devile gear ratio  Paul Varcoe  8/01/06 5:39 PM
       Re: 1978 Sedan Devile gear ratio  Porter  8/01/06 6:25 PM

Now you can give me a flame job and get my post deleted. LOL

Porter

Porter

Maybe this will clear things up, you originally asked for a 78 Deville rear end gear ratio.

1978 CADILLAC DEVILLE

Transmission: Turbo Hydra-matic transmission standard on all models; column shift.
Gear ratios: (1st) 2.48:1: (2nd) 1.48:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
Standard axle ratio: 2.28:1, with 3.08:1 available
Hypoid rear axle
Steering/Suspension: variable-ratio, power assisted
Brakes: front disc, rear drum
HEI electronic ignition.
Fuel tank: 25.3 gal.

There are variables and ways to determine whether you have a stock gear ratio or an optional gear ratio.

HTH,

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

07-06-06
Paul, Since you dont know if your car has the optional rear-end, You will need a buddy to help figure-out which rear-end your car has. I will suggest that you have on hand your buddys favorite brew( but dont pass it out just yet.( some of the work you can do before your buddy arrives to help ) Jack-up the rear so both rear wheels are off of the garage floor. Start by putting both valve-stems in the same position, and apply masking-tape to the drive-shaft where you can view it from out-side the car. When your dranking buddy shows-up, take him/her to the garage and have him/her turn one wheel while you turn the other. when you and your buddy have each turned your respected wheel one turn, The drive shaft will have turned either 2.28:1 or 3.08:1.  You will have to count the number of turns the drive shaft makes but that shouldnt be too hard.
HTH
Good Luck, JIM

Porter

Good answer Jim,

I learned something here, read something to that effect before but the plan has come together and another question answered, good job.

Im sure the vast majority of 79s came with the recommended factory gear ratio, sans the speciality vehicles with the optional one.

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

08-08-06
Porter, I hope that you didnt learn that you dont break-out the brew untill the work is complete.
Good Luck, Jim