News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Eldorado Brougham #612

Started by Dick Heller, August 12, 2006, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Heller

Item number: 270016873338

Discussion purposes only.

Dick

Dick Heller

Quote from: Dick HellerItem number: 270016873338

Discussion purposes only.

Dick

Paul Zanetti

Okay, lets discuss item number 270016873338.

The first number is a 2. This often denotes a pair or a couple, usually comes after the number one or 1.

The next number is a 7, written as a seven, or in BINGO terminology clarified by legs eleven. A movie with this number starred Kevin Cpacey and Brad Pitt - not for the faint hearted.

The next two numbers are zeros, or noughts. Zero rhymes with hero but nought does not. Spooky!

....I could go on.....

BUT WHAT IS IT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO DISCUSS HERE...????

A SET OF NUMBERS?!?!?!!?!?!?

What item numbers?????

Paul Zanetti

Silly me!

Didnt have my ESP turned on.

Doug 22747

OK - well, I dont know that much about these particular cars, but what interested me in the Cadillac list of features was "automatic engine starting and restarting;" Im not too sure what that is, does it start itself automatically if it stalls?  

JIM CLC # 15000

08-12-06
DOUG, all depends on how it is/was set-up. I once had a buddy that had a car with an auto-start system on it. ( Not a cadillac and several years later ). It was set to start the engine if the outside temperture got down to a certin tempture, could also be set for the interior of car temperture. The system would attemp to start the  engine three times and if the engine didnt start, it wouldnt try any more untill the car was started in the normal manner. Also, if someone attemped to drive the car while the engine was running, it would stop the engine as soon as it was shifted into a "drive gear".
HTH
Good Luck, JIM

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

As an owner of a Brougham (#230), I can explain this device: if the shift lever is in P or N, the driver just has to turn the ignition switch to "on" with the key. The starter motor comes in action and runs until the engine starts. If the engine stalls when driving, the driver has to put the lever in N and the starter motor works again until the engine is running again.
In case of the system would not work, the engine can be started the usual way.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Roger,

That is very interesting, but nothing surprises me with these inovative vehicles.

But, if the engine doesnt start, due to some mechanical, or electrical ignition reason, will the starter keep cranking until the battery dies?, or until the operator/driver turns the ignition off?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Exactly, Bruce! Battery, operator or crank motor, the way you like. I prefer personally that the operator is doing something before the material is giving up!

Bill Sullivan

I did not know the EBs had this starting feature -- but Bendix marketed a device the the 30s called Startix that did the same thing.  I drove a 35 Auburn last year with one:  to start the car just turn the key on and push down the clutch, and the starter would engage.  The startix has a little vacuum switch in it that turned off the starter when the engine started.  I think all Auburns came with this feature but otherwise the Startix was not all that popular -- but I have seen other 30s cars with it installed, perhaps as an aftermarket item.

Doug 22747

that Startix sounds like what Buick had on the carb for many years (which always seemed a bit odd to me - that you would want to crank a cold engine floored); and thanks all for the EB education!  Doug

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Doug,

I am sure that Buick did it to stop people flooding the engine through pumping the pedal whilst cranking.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Morgan Murphy

My old Brougham (No. 634) had a faulty gas sending unit and once conked out on me.  As soon as she ran out of gas, I shifted into neutral to restart her and sure enough, the automatic starter engaged to restart the car.  As I was in motion at the time, it was a nerve-racking experience and a little startling.  Fortunately I coasted into a gas station.  

The funniest thing was that my mother was in the car at the time and never knew we ran out of gas--she just thought the car was running very quietly!

Harry Carlson

So do you still have #634?  Im trying to decide what to do with my #406.  Its running but not like a Caddy should.

Wm Link

I guess you can pretty much plan on the fuel gauge NOT working on a brougham...I have heard it is a real problem with them. I have #539 and may adopt? a standard 58 sender unit to it....I know those work. Can I ASSUME? This might be an option to a functioning fuel sender???? I have not dipped my toes into that problem yet any thoughts from those whom might know???

Wm Link

While we are here...My #539 car was WHITE new, now black. My thoughts were to go back to its original white, however I have been advised by a trusted friend who has told me "I told you so" before...I should KEEP the car black as the most appealing color for that car. My thoughts were that there is no shortage of black broughams today...as it was the most popular (in support of his opinion) selection. My interior is Black and white leather...also very popular. THOUGHTS?????? PS I need a front grill for my car, maybe a couple of other things too.

David KIng

Dale Armstrong or Mike Rizzuto can rebuilt your gas sending unit.  The circuit board inside the unit gets soaked w/fuild when the seal fails and then goes bad over time.  Also, the same circuit board that it takes for the gas sending unit is used in the oil pressure sending unit.  Same story only worse when it fails.  The oil pressure unit is more difficult to rebuild.  

I plan on having both redone when I get to that point.

Dales email is:

darmstron747@adelphia.net

Mikes webpage is:

http://www.mastermindinc.net/Electrical.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.mastermindinc.net/Electrical.htm

David KIng

Dale Armstrong or Mike Rizzuto can rebuilt your gas sending unit.  The circuit board inside the unit gets soaked w/fuild when the seal fails and then goes bad over time.  Also, the same circuit board that it takes for the gas sending unit is used in the oil pressure sending unit.  Same story only worse when it fails.  The oil pressure unit is more difficult to rebuild.  

I plan on having both redone when I get to that point.

Dales email is:

darmstron747@adelphia.net

Mikes webpage is:

http://www.mastermindinc.net/Electrical.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.mastermindinc.net/Electrical.htm