News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Big Unfair Damage Troubles with Passport Auto Transport

Started by Bill Podany, August 28, 2006, 01:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Podany

Jim,

Thanks for your continued interest.  Passport Transports contract stipulates that the damaged car must be repaired locally and if the car runs, it will not pay to transport the car to any shop.  The result of this is that they will not pay for me to have this car restored in a shop and location of my choice.  The reality is that no shop in East Tennessee would even think of taking on this project.  Passport told me to look harder.  Any none of their shop recommendations that I contacted would tackle the repair.  Passports insurance company views all repairs the same....regardless of the quality of the car; be it a rare collectable or a 10 year old Honda.  So they sent me a settlement check for $2900, which my lawyer advises not to cash.  My insurance company Hagerty has taken up my plight picking up the costs to transport the car to RM Classic Cars in Ontario to have it restored and returned to me.  They will then duke it out with the third party insurance company.  After exhaustive inquiries, this was my best course; the likelihood however is that Hagerty will raise my premiums.  The current estimated cost of repair from Hagerty will be close to $10,000!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bill,

It is good that Hagertys is going to look after one of their clients.

That is why we have Insurance Companies.

I cant see how they could raise your premiums as the damage wasnt done by you, but as a direct result of another party.

The Insurance Companies will fight it out between themselves.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Podany

Johnny,

Your description of the Passport trailer is exactly what was used when I contracted for one complete truck.  They transported four cars (two classic Cadillacs) and a Harley Davidson.  They took the greatest of care in loading at my home, but a major error was made in that the drivers stacked my Porsche above the 41 Cadillac, and there was not enough room apparently for the Cadillac to bounce on its own suspension.  I have used Passport before, even for this same 41 Cadillac, and never had a problem; but the previous drivers never stacked another car above it.  This was strickly a case of inexperience with the driving team....a very nice and accommodating husband and wife team.  I used Passport on this occasion because they had done a commendable job in the past for me.  But now, I am definitely ANTI-PASSPORT because they have been irresponsible in resolving my claim to what any car collector would say is a fair request.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bill PodanyJohnny,

Your description of the Passport trailer is exactly what was used when I contracted for one complete truck.  They transported four cars (two classic Cadillacs) and a Harley Davidson.  They took the greatest of care in loading at my home, but a major error was made in that the drivers stacked my Porsche above the 41 Cadillac, and there was not enough room apparently for the Cadillac to bounce on its own suspension.  I have used Passport before, even for this same 41 Cadillac, and never had a problem; but the previous drivers never stacked another car above it.  This was strickly a case of inexperience with the driving team....a very nice and accommodating husband and wife team.  I used Passport on this occasion because they had done a commendable job in the past for me.  But now, I am definitely ANTI-PASSPORT because they have been irresponsible in resolving my claim to what any car collector would say is a fair request.

Bill, I can understand the reason you feel the way you do, and quite frankly I would feel the same way, and would probably not use Passport again.  If nothing else, I hope that your post and subsequent posts by others has made anyone that will at sometime find the need to ship their car, to be aware of the pitfalls and problems that can arise!

Jim S. CLC#21340

The shortsightedness of corporate bureaucracies never ceases to amaze!  How in the world could an insurance company for a CLASSIC, COLLECTOR car transporter really claim that the local generic body shop in Taterville is a realistic option?  Surely, they would have to know how valuable these vehicles can be and how expensive they are to fix properly.  How can they feign such complete ignorance of the business they are in?  Im no lawyer, but I cant help thinking a judge would see this as transparent bad faith on Passports part.  Particularly after you have established that no body shop in the area will touch it.  Even they know they arent qualified.

BTW, have you posted your troubles on the AACA board?  That is such a big organization.  Maybe that might get their attention.

Good for Hagerty and shame, shame, shame on Passport!  I am a novice and have never shipped a car, but I now would certainly think twice about Passport. Good luck, and please keep us posted.  

Johnny #662

I would think that part of the problem with Passport, is that unlike us, they view, the cars they ship, as only freight, and not the treasures they are.  Nor are they well versed what it takes to restore these cars to their past glory.  

Hopefully your bad experience, and some of my posts concerning shipping a car, will help those, who in the future, have to ship a car.  You just cant be cautious enough, to assure your car will be shipped on time and in the same condition as when they picked it up, and if their is damage, it will be repaired, to the standard it deserves.

Morgan Murphy, No. 17409

This needs to be an article in the Self Starter.  It should also be an article in Hemmings.  Ive had the same treatment (from Farmers Insurance).  They sent me to some hayseed who TRIED TO STEAL THE CAR.  He was one of their "recommended providers."  Really.

I live in Birmingham and have an excellent paint and body man here who is expensive as heck, but does first class work.  Let me know if Ontario doesnt work out for some reason.

Morgan

Mike Josephic #3877

This is not the first disaster Ive heard about involving
Passport.

Ive used Intercity Transport and they are utmost professionals and I highly recommend them.  Mike

larry Savino

Well looks like its been along journey for you to get your car repaired, Sorry for your troubles.

I have a heard mention of the transport company not protecting our beloved cars, or that they treat it like freight.

Well guess what to us its a hobby, to them its a business.

All too often people forget that they are actually making business transition with folks who are no hobbyist. They are actually only concerned with the money aspect.

We must treat every thing as a business deal

One thing thats been passed over is hagerty picking up the bill, Hagerty offers "Agreed value coverage" Had this fellow been with some other company who did not offer "agreed Value coverage" His car may of been totaled out instead of getting a $10,000.00 repair done.

If you have a collectible car, and use it as a collectible car and your policy does not state "agreed value coverage" then your not properly insured

Bill Podany

Mike Josephic: Devils Advocate

Thanks for the lead on Intercity Transport; I have gotten very good reports on them, and in the future, I will try their services.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN

Bill Podany

Jim S CLC

Since Hagerty has taken over, the car is getting restored properly and should be back in my garage within a few weeks.  RM Classic Cars is a class organization and does superior restoration work; I have used them on prior projects.  However it is their policy that they do not pay transportation to and from thier shop.  So I will get stuck with about a $2000 bill for round trip shipping from Ontario to Knoxville.  It is unfair and unethical that this cost to me occurred because I hired an expensive and supposedly professional transportation company which damaged my car in transport because they stacked one of my other cars too close to the top of the 41 Cadillac.  Both Hagerty and Passport have this same rule about not paying for the transportation to and from ones shop of choice.  

Bill Podany

Johnny #662

I have been told by several restoration shops servicing the CCCA Membership that Passport was a fine and responsive and ethical company when it was privately held and run by its founder in St. Louis.  The intelligence that I have gathered is that ever since FedEx bought Passport Transport, the quality of service has radically declined.  FedEx has imploded their corporate rules and contractual protections for their profitability; the result is that they have forgotten about the foundational customer centric principles of careful handling, fair policies, and properly trained driving and loading teams.  After all, their business was founded on servicing rare, expensive, and cherished automobiles owned by discerning individuals.  I have learned that most of Passports experienced drivers have left the company for these same reasons; they have moved on to Intercity Transport, Reliable, and Blue Highways.

Bill Podany

Morgan Murphy,

Thanks for your help regarding the restoration of my Cadillac.  Fortunately, RM Classic Cars out of Blenheim, Ontario is doing a beautiful job, and the car should be returned within a few weeks to Knoxville, TN.  I would submitt an article to either Hemmings or the Self Starter, but I am sure that they would view my story as defensive and vindictive and one that would underscore the infermities of a personal claim.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bill PodanyJohnny #662

I have been told by several restoration shops servicing the CCCA Membership that Passport was a fine and responsive and ethical company when it was privately held and run by its founder in St. Louis.  The intelligence that I have gathered is that ever since FedEx bought Passport Transport, the quality of service has radically declined.  FedEx has imploded their corporate rules and contractual protections for their profitability; the result is that they have forgotten about the foundational customer centric principles of careful handling, fair policies, and properly trained driving and loading teams.  After all, their business was founded on servicing rare, expensive, and cherished automobiles owned by discerning individuals.  I have learned that most of Passports experienced drivers have left the company for these same reasons; they have moved on to Intercity Transport, Reliable, and Blue Highways.

Thanks for the update and info.  Hopefully these posts will help others in the future when they need to ship their cars.