News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HELP-Pig Pen soiled White Leather

Started by Pat, September 20, 2006, 07:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Took car in to have four calipers adjusted and the mechanic got his greasy hands all over the top-inside white door panels, what is the best cleaner to use?  Also the driver’s seat has grease marks on the Biarritz’s white seats.

HELP PLEASE!

Pat

brian rachlin

Dont start off using anything too strong on the leather.  Lexol makes a great leather cleaner, available at any good auto parts store.  Try Simple Green, or Spray Nine.

It should clean up.

Brian

Jerry

Assuming that the mechanic wasnt the owner, what did the boss say about the incident?  Hopefully you discussed it with him.

Clear plastic covers for steering wheels, seats, floormats are very inexpensive for shops.  Obviously they dont really make a door panel cover but how stupid do you have to be to get grease inside a nice car?    I know it happens but DUH!

Jim Bottini

John #22631

Go with the Simple green or Murphys Oil Soap. Both are excellent products.

Then give the bill for your time to the shop owner(s). Sounds like he needs a wake-up call as to how his customers cars leave his shop.

John

JIM CLC # 15000

09-20-06
Pat, Try a little "saddle-soap". It should clean up everthing made of leather. Try a shoe repair shop for it, they normally have some for sale and are a good source of information on how to clean oil/grease from leather.
Good Luck,JIM

Pat

Are the door panels leather or vinyl?

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Rhino 21150

Sniff the panel to determine material. Neetsfoot Oil cleans leather very well. Its by Kiwi, the shoe polish people. Cheap, too. And really softens leather.

Fred Garfield 22310

Pat, youve gotten a lot of advice and I have no doubt that some or even all of it may be good advice. Ive used some of these products and know what they can do. Neatsfoot, for example, will often darken leather. Simple Green, if not sufficiently diluted, can dull the surface finish.

Heres mine -- find a high-end, very expensive auto detailer in your area. Bring them your car so they can actually see whats there. Then ask them what you should use and how you should apply it. (Hint: Drop by around 1:30 or 2:00 when theyve just had lunch, bring them a cold 6-pack of something nice and WAIT if theyre obviously busy -- theyll see you there and get around to you.)

Pat

Had car detailed.  Detailer claimed he could not get all of the grease although it looks 90percent better.

Fred Garfield 22310

Glad to hear youve made such progress on this, Pat.

Might be time to give Leatherique a call and see what they say.

They have custom matched leather dye available.

http://www.leatherique.com/products.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.leatherique.com/products.htm

Pat

When it rains it pours!

How do I properly remove interior door panel, window fell off of regulator?

Thanks,

Pat

Morgan Murphy, No. 17409

Deat Pat:

I am sorry to hear your door-panel troubles.  Personally, I am a big fan of Griots Garage Interior Cleaner (www.griotsgarage.com).  It takes spots out of door panels, seats, carpet, mats, headliners, etc and leather.  There is a catch: if the leather is factory-dyed, it will be fine.  If it was an after-market dye job or youve had your interior re-done and arent sure, test a spot first.  I swear by the stuff.

They also have a leather "rejuvenator" which works wonders.  The white leather on my 58 was dusty, filthy, AND greasy.  The lanolin-based leather cleaners just put a coat of grease over the grime.  Griots stuff lifts it out and reconditions the leather, too.

Good luck,

Morgan

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I agree with Morgan completely. Ive found Griots Interior Cleaner to be the only thing to really clean light-colored leather. After using it and letting it dry, I use leather conditioner (usually Maguiars Gold wipes).