News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Trying to start a long dormant 1939 Sixty Special

Started by Matt, October 06, 2006, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hi All,

Im not the seasoned car enthusiast but I love reading the site. Im trying to get my dads 1939 Sixty Special started. Were going through everything on the car looking to sell it soon. Last time it was started was probably 3+ years ago. Even then had a tough time starting, had to roll it down the driveway as you tried to engage it. Just tried again today and no such luck. From the looks of my charger the battery is fully charged, water level is fine in the battery (6 volt). But when I put the key in the ignition the charge on the dash dips below zero. Its not even starting to turn over like it has in the past. Any ideas/suggestions?  

Thanks so much,
Matt

Baxter Culver #17184

I have a 39 60S.

It sounds like your battery connections are in need of a good cleaning.  Remove both the positive and negative cables at the battery (remember to replace the +cable to a good ground) and clean them with a wire brush.  Do the same where they attach to ground and to the starter.

You might pull all of the spark plugs and roll the engine over until you have oil pressure showing on the guage.  If the gasoline has been sitting in the tank for a long time, try to drain the tank (there is a drain plug) then put in a fresh gallon or two.  I would roll the engine over without plugs until it shows gas flow into the fuel pump bowl or into the carburetor.  Then replace the plugs and try to start it.  Hint: mark the plug wires with a bit of (numbered) masking tape so you dont mix them up.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

How old is the battery, has it just been sitting in there since the last time the car was started 3+ years ago, or is it new?  If it is the old one then you can be assured the battery is no good, no matter what the charger says.  It is normal for the ammeter to show a discharge when the key is turned on.

You should certainly follow Baxter Culvers suggestions as to cleaning the battery terminals and cable connections, removing the plugs and cranking the engine to build oil pressure, and getting clean, fresh gas to the carburetor, 3+ years is a long time for gas to sit in the tank and the carburetor and it will certainly be no good.

JIM CLC # 15000

10-06-06
MATT, Baxter and geoff gave good advise. To add to what they said, I would suggest that you CLEAN the surfaces where the starter bolts to the clutch (bell) housing. And connect the ground-cable to one of the starter mount bolts then try to turn the engine with the starter. Also, watch the ampmeter to see if it goes to Full discharge and returns to Center as the engine turns, it should cycle each time the engine turns-over two times.
Your battery may have to be replaced before you can start the engine, but Im thinking thatthe ground is not clean and tight.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

John #22631

I would also remove the spark plugs and put about a tablespoon of clean, fairly light motor oil into the cylinders before cranking. This will lubricate and protect the cylinder walls while cranking.

John

Doug Houston

Ive been there, done that several times, including very recently. If the battery has been sitting without any charge or use for sometimes even a year, its history. A neglected battery will sulphate, and will not take a charge. Often, the battery will not even draw any current from the charger.

The plugs should be replaced. Theyll be either rusted or so full of carbon that no amount of voltage will get a spark across their gap. Also, if the plug wires are not leaking totally to ground, itll be a miracle. Replace them. The fuel pump will almost surely be shot. It can be easily rebuilt.I use kits from Antique Auto Parts Cellar, or there are other places that have kits as well. The oil in the cylinders is a fine idea. Once all the preliminaries are done, it will make the engine easier to start.  And, as someone has already said, get the ugly gook out of the fuel tank, and put in some decent gas!

By all means, dump the oil, regardless of how pretty it looks. You may not know the difference, but the engine will! Good, fresh oil is a must. The carburetor may be working properly, but dont be too optimistic about it not needing a rebuild.

Also a good idea to pull the distributor and check the points. They might be O.K., but.....

If the car is in decent shape, its worth all of the hassle outlined above. A 39 60 Special is a thing of beauty, and deserves the loving care you can give it.  Its amusing....no, disgusting to look at a car thats for sale for several thousand bucks, and the seller is too cheap to buy a new $65.00 battery for it.