News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 V12 370A PLEASE HELP!!!

Started by Philip Wilson, October 25, 2006, 12:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Wilson

Hi,

Does anybody know where I could buy a new or restored pair of intake manifolds for a 1931 V12 370A?

My problem is that the manifolds get extremely hot when the car runs. Valve and ignition timing is dead on and I have overhauled the Carbs. I think the problem may lie with the previous owner who restored the car, I fear he may have had the inside of the manifolds shot blasted, thus wearing down the
thickness of the inner metal.

Any thoughts??

Many Thanks

Philip

JIM CLC # 15000

10-25-06
Philip, What I know about a V12 could be written on the head of a pin. But I do know that the intake manifold should not get hot. IM not saying that they cant get hot from "heat-soak" from the engine when it gets up to operating temperture, But, experance tells me no. I use to work on KC97 APUs and the way to adjust the carbs was to grab-hold of the intake manifold and when it was at it coldest point, stop adjusting the fuel/air mixture because the carb. was adjusted properley. As an aside, I dont think that the previous owner damaged the manifolds by having them bead-blasted. Philip, You can check what I have said by feeling the manifolds right after start-up to see if they are cold and check them every few minutes to see if they are getting hot.Use a "space-thermometer" if you can find one and see if the intake is the same temperture as the engine.
If it is, I dont know what to tell you.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Philip

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, I think the problem is more than just heat transfer from the engine though.

Hopefully somebody out there will have an idea of where the problem lies

Thanks again,

Philip