News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 fog lights

Started by James Garner, November 08, 2006, 02:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Garner

How do you tell if you have fog lights on a 1962 model Eldorado convertible?

Doug Scarrow CLC#22309

If your 62 has fog lights it will have clear lenses with a
 chrome wing visable  inside the lamp assembly in each of the lower front bumper corners. There will be a chrome bullet on the outside of each of the lenses. Also the Headlamp switch is
different. the chrome piece behind the  headlamp knob should
turn left and right and you will feel that it is switching.
  In order to turn the foglamps on you pull the headlamp knob to the first click (parkinglamp position) then turn the inner knob to the right. In my area the fog lamps are bright enough to be legal as headlamps as they are 35 watt bulbs (1044)

James Garner

Thank you. Mine are fog lights.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

On my 56 de Ville, the option fog lamps is also installed, with the correct bulbs. Years ago, I tried to drive on a clear night only with the fog lamps. Its criminel, they offer practically no illumination. To me, its just a nice decor and its good looking for the other drivers!

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Roger, I could not agree more... I know they were meant to shine under the fog so they would not blind you and others, but you are supposed to be able to see the road at least.  Mine are all screwed up,  Thankfully the turn signals work.  

I wonder if you put in a solid halogen bulb, if one were able to, that would work?

James Garner

My car is dismantled now, but I wmight try to improve them when I start reassembly. Than will be a few months in the future. Thanks for your input. I am new to this club and I find it very informative.
Jim

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Glad to have you with us, Jim!  Nice to have a new face in the crowd that looks slack jawed when an old Cadillac rolls by!!  LOL  The 62 is a lovely car.  Good luck with it.

James Garner

Thanks. Im looking forward to finishing the car and enjoying it. It is my first Cadillac restoration, but I have done several others (all foreign). I owned several Caddies from the fifties. I have 20/20 hindsight. Boy, if I only had them today. I should have proof read my previous post. My typing stinks.
Jim

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Randall!

An halogen bulb would surely be more effective. However, there is a problem: how to include the indicator bulb? One solution would be to enlarge the socket for the park lamp and adapt a stop/tail lamp bulb, discard the 3-point socket for the fog/indicator bulb and adapt a socket for the halogen bulb...It the trouble worth? I would say NO...and, on my side, Im driving with halogen headlamps. Another problem: the temperature of the halogen bulb may be detrimental to the plastic lens!