News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle valves

Started by Michael Conner, December 26, 2006, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Conner

Hi, I geuss I posted my question on the wrong forem. Anyway I rebuilt the flathead in my 37 LaSalle and it runs fine great power and all. And heres the, but the valves are noisy. Is there any additives you guys have found that will quiet these down or, is there a oil pump that has more volume or pressure for these cars. I dont drive it much and I dont want to re-do the valve lifters. Any help would be appreciated. If you need my e-mail it is (stokedsurfer@sbcglobal.net) Thank You! Michael C.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I dont know if it will work on the lifters in your flathead, but GM Engine Oil Supplement is, according to others on this board, still available and recommended to quiet lifters on OHV engines. My parents had a 64 Olds Ninety-Eight that would sometimes have lifter tap. The service manager recommended EOS; it stopped the tapping and my dad had it put in at every oil change thereafter and it was still quiet when traded in at about 90,000 miles.

Michael Conner

Hi Rusty thanks! I wonder if anyone has used this 2 work in a flathead? I know these supplements work in the newer motor designs. Its just that the lifters in the early cadillac are such a different or ancient design. I worry that they are so worn after 70 years that I just have to live with it. Hopefully one of the flathead technicians can shed some light on this. Michael C.

Harry Scott

Several things to check: air bled from the oil lines to the lifters, lifters primed and getting oil, 3 measurement from bottom of cam lobe to valve stem (critical), plungers clean so as to hear check valve rattle, plunger springs. Good Luck.

Frank DeCou

The 3.000 is critical, but only if you are dealing with stock parts.  If the cam has been reground or the valve lifters have been refaced the whole deal is off.  To determine the setting you have to take into account the amount of metal removed by grinding.  I have always measured the cam lobes and the lifter length both before and after grinding and ground the valves accordingly and have not had any problems.

Michael Conner

Hi Harry, How are you able to make sure the air is bled from the lines to the lifters with the engine back in? Thanks Mike

Harry Scott

Mike, What I usually do is crank the engine over with the manifolds and valve covers off and the oil line connections to the lifters loose until the oil starts to come out and then tighten the connections. Harry

Michael Conner

OK Thank you Harry, Thats what Ill do. I agree that its really the only way Im gonna be sure there getting the proper oil. Thanks Again to everybody for your ideas. Mike C.

baxter culver #17184

I have a similar question/problem.  My 39 Cad had a major engine rebuild (pistons, bearings, lifters, valves, guides, seats, etc).  The engine is quiet on start-up but at operating temp the valve train is very noisy.  The valve stems were NOT all cut exactly to 3.00. Stem length from heel of cam to stem varies from 2.99 to 2.967.  Which means that at least four of the stems are at least .025-.033 too long.  I am guessing that the longer stem length is affecting the operating range of the lifter when everthing is at normal operating temp (hot) and that is causing the noisy lifters.  Comments?

Michael Conner

Im not sure if thats it or what. The machine shop I took it 2 put the lifters and cam back in and I did everything else. So your geuss is as good as mine. I know he said he hot tanked the block but, I really have my doubts about that 2. Oh well it was the only guy here in Kansas who would even touch it. So I probably got the shaft. I geuss I;ll pull the manifolds and covers off and look into it. Thanks for your help. Mike C.

Harry Scott

Baxter, Having several of the stems a little too long should not cause noise. If the stem is too long it would cause the valve not to close tight. If memory serves me I think the tolerance for the lifter colapsed to valve stem should not exceed .070. If the compression is ok on the cylinders with the longer stems then they are closing. My guess for the noise in your case is either the lifter springs or as Doug Houston mentioned in a previous post the lifter plunger and housing are not properly mated or are worn. Or maybe it is as simple as the wrong weight oil. I have found that straight 30W is best, especially on a newly rebuilt engine.

baxter culver #17184

Harry,
Here the mystery deepens.  All of the lifter plungers are new.  The oil is 30wt.  Pressure constant at 30#.The lifter oil pipes clean and tight, the valves, seats, guides new.  Yet it is quiet when cold and noisy when hot.  Im flummoxed (or befuddled).  Help?