News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

NEW and Looking at a 39 La Salle???

Started by mark maron, December 22, 2006, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark maron

Quote from: FRED #23106DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THIS ISSUE

There was a nice cover article in the July 2006 issue of hemming Motor News. The car was a 1939 La Salle 2-door coupe (same as your car). I would certainly take a good look at this article, as it gives a LOT of information on the same exact car.

The steering column and brake handle are painted black in your photos (should be a darker brown), but this is easily corrected. What about the mileage and how does it run and drive?  

Has 38K miles, and 6 volumes of maintenance records that come with the car, he says he knows the odomotor has NEVER turned over and all the car is original survivor
mark

Fred

mark maron

Been searching for a color chart of some type on the 30 la salle, any help in directing me
This car is a survivor and has 38K mile son it and the owner swears it has NEVER turned over. He also has 6 volumes of maintenance records from the original owner laying out every thing ever done to the car.
It looks like a go for me
mark

FRED #23106

Mark,

Email me with your complete mailing address and I will mail a copy of this issue to you, as I am certain that I have an extra copy at work.  Our company (TP Tools in Canfield, Ohio) is a big advertiser in Hemmings and sometimes we get extra issues. If you click on my name, my email should show up. If not, please post and we will figure out something else.  

If you havent yet made the trade, my recommendation is to do it ASAP, as this is the best deal you will ever get. I once had a 1929 Model A Pickup and ALMOST worked out a trade on a nice 61 Corvette years ago.  I hesitated too long and the deal fell through.  Now the Model A has been sold, but is worth $15K tops and the Corvette would be worth over $50K - probably more (if both in same condition at the time of the possible trade). You will not go wrong on this.

As to paint chips, they show up on Ebay, or may be advertised in Hemmings. They show up at flea markets and for sure at Hershey, but will take some searching. Dont worry if your color is exact - you have the right deal from your standpoint and should not spend any more time analyzing things. Go for it and let us know how you like the LaSalle.

Regards,  Fred Zwicker

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

HI, I have a set of chips that you can borrow, if you wish. Let me know. Barry.

Lou CLC19028

mark maron

Just got these pictures of the back seat of the 39 La Salle, I fly in a couple of weeks to see the car, Can someone explain what i am looking at, ,Seats on "Pedestals"? VERY Art Deco to say the least, Help me out please and he reefers to the car as a REAR OPERA Coupe??? Any INFO or more pics to see other examples will help
Anyone direct me to some print material on the net to read up on this model "Opera Coupe?"Then i wont have to bother with all the questions..
Mark
http://animationart.com/LaSalle/RearOperaSeats.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://animationart.com/LaSalle/RearOperaSeats.jpg

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Mark, a lot of coupe buyers used their cars for business, and needed a handy place for briefcases, samples, etc. The folding opera type seats allowed the carrying of passengers when needed. Get the trade done before the guy starts checking values car to car.

mark maron

Yeah i am going to do an outright buy on the car, He wants 20K, and sent 50 pics last night and said send me 1000.00 deposit and the car is yours!
So you are saying the seats FOLD up?? and the rear holds only 2 passengers??
any pictures that you have that are better?
mark

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

You bet. The rear seats do fold up on each side providing bearable (at least on short trips) accomodations for two people or three if they all want to be miserable. The convertible coupe used the same arrangement. Barry, was the term opera coupe ever actually used by Cadillac? I constantly see them advertised as such and Im almost certain they were never called that from 1930 on (where my strongest Cadillac-LaSalle interest begins). It never occurred to me until I read this thread that the name probably came form the opera seats.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

In the Master Parts Book, I just checked and the "official" name there is simply "coupe." Some "names" like opera coupe were part of current conversation, and thats how the nomenclature gets attached to them, I believe.
Mark, after all of the "advice" we so freely passed out, I hope that the car is every bit as nice as it seems. The price seems fair, and I was reassured when I saw the worn place where the driver would sit. Best of luck.

Rhino 21150

Mark Maron

Did that and yeah lots to read, what i wanted was length of the car, i know the wheel base is 120" options available, and stuff like that
mark

mark maron

Jack got all your material and THANK YOU very very informative, Can you look at a series of pictures that I have if i email them to you??
I have not finalized the deal yet as i am waiting for my financing approval at this point but the car is being held for me..
Let me know if you have some time..Where are you Located??
mark Maron

Mark Maron

Well got the approval and the Down payment has been sent for my 1939 La Salle Coupe. Thanks to all and now i can join this great club and get all the benefits. Thanks to all so far and i will keep you all up to date on its arrival and progress.
Mark