News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct method of starting a 390 c.i Engine

Started by Fatz n Finz, August 19, 2009, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan reed

Like someone mentioned earlier - I too installed an electric fuel pump on my '56 Caddy. Even when I completed the carb rebuild it still needed a few pumps and turns of the key before it would fire up (this is after sitting for a week or two). With the electric pump it gets fuel up to the carb quick and will start right up. Electric pumps aren't expensive and its not hard to install. I'm sure I paid less than $70 total for everything needed to complete the job.

Dan

JIM THOMAS

Can  anyone tell me why I ,a PAID-UP MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING,MUST GO THROUGHT with the requirements of
furishing my name and email address each time I want to answer a post?  Now for my comment. It seems to me that if the Ethnol vaporated right away wouldn't that leave one with unllead fuel???

Otto Skorzeny

No. The two components are not like oil and vinegar in salad dressing. They do not separate when left to sit.

They are fully blended and become a new substance that shares the qualities of each of it's component parts.

Jim, if you register on this forum, you will not have to enter all that stuff each time you come to this site.

Your signature, etc. will automatically be printed at the bottom of your post.

Cookies on your computer will tell the site who you are so you won't have to sign in each time you visit.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Fatz n Finz

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help, but your now getting too technical for me it seems that if you find a method that works use it. So will it be O.K to use this below yes or no :-

When I went to buy the car the dealer got in it pumped / banged the accelerator several times ( couldn't see what his foot was doing but I suspect he had some pressure on the pedal ) it cranked over fine but did not fire, he did the same procedure again and it started it was running for say 60 - 90 seconds, then he gave it a couple of revs and it settled down.

Misfit

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 22, 2009, 09:36:17 AM
No. The two components are not like oil and vinegar in salad dressing. They do not separate when left to sit.

They are fully blended and become a new substance that shares the qualities of each of it's component parts.

Forrest. The Ethanol blended fuels will seperate to some degree. The Ethyl Alcohol evaporates at a faster rate than the gasoline will. A 10% blend, which is the industry standard for pump gas contains a RON of 82 for a regular grade. The introduction of the 10% Ethyl Alcohol, brings the substandard 82 RON up to the minimum sold at the dispenser. Leave the cap off of a 5 gallon can of fuel for a while and the octane rating, if tested at a lab will be substandard to what is required in retail sales.

Premium grade (93RON) is really just regular gasoline with the Ethanol added to make it 93 RON at the pump.But there still is good old regular 87, and premium 93 without the Ethanol available. But it's sold as recreational gasoline in some states.

MisFit

Otto Skorzeny

Damn! That $hit gets worse and worse every time I hear about it. Truly it's designed specifically for pressurized, fuel injected systems.

Now I will assume that it doesn't separate per se. That is, there won't be two distinguishable layers visible in a lab flask if left to sit. I figure each molecule of ethanol must evaporate on it's own from wherever it is in the mixture of gasoline. If it separated like oil and vinegar it would be doing that in gas tanks and storage tanks, etc.

Either way it's freaking mess. We can't obtain ethanol-free fuel anywhere in metro Atlanta by federal mandate.

I wonder if the ethanol could evaporate out of the carb leaving behind the 82 octane crap and make it hard to start?

What does 82 RON equate to using the AKI rating on US pumps?  (RON + MON) / 2
fward

Misfit

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 22, 2009, 01:40:07 PM
Damn! That $hit gets worse and worse every time I hear about it. Truly it's designed specifically for pressurized, fuel injected systems.
I knew you would catch on eventually.

Now I will assume that it doesn't separate per se. That is, there won't be two distinguishable layers visible in a lab flask if left to sit.
Corrrect.
I figure each molecule of ethanol must evaporate on it's own from wherever it is in the mixture of gasoline.
Correct again.
If it separated like oil and vinegar it would be doing that in gas tanks and storage tanks, etc.
Ding, Ding, Ding. A three time winner !!!   ;D Seriously, it is blended at the truck loading rack. Where I load, each loading arm loads at the rate of 650 GPM. A secondary injection system injects the Ethanol at a rate of 65 GPM. Should the computer detect and incorrect blend it shuts down and has to be reset and the blend ratio self-corrects.
Either way it's freaking mess. We can't obtain ethanol-free fuel anywhere in metro Atlanta by federal mandate.
You should be able to buy it an any big recreational area, or a Marina that has a fuel dock. I can get it here, but it has to be put into legal gasoline containers, and not directly sold and dispensed into an automobile. It still has all the state and federal taxes levied on it. Just no Ethanol.

I wonder if the ethanol could evaporate out of the carb leaving behind the 82 octane crap and make it hard to start?
It is a possibility. I let my '59 run out when I park it by shutting off the fuel pump. And the Eldorado gets used too much to bother with doing that.
What does 82 RON equate to using the AKI rating on US pumps?  (RON + MON) / 2
I honestly have no idea about that. Any public gasoline dispenser has to label the research octane number of the product it is dispensing. You're the Engineer....You should know that. And so should I.   ::)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe we should all go out and buy a boat, fill up at the Marinas, then siphon out into containers and decant to the carburettored car?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Maybe we should all go out and have a beer!
;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

Now taking orders for pure Atlantic Canadian gas . . . no ethanol here.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

JIM THOMAS

AUGUST THE 21ST @ ABOUT this time I posted a reply to a post that I think should  be answered, why do I .being a paid-up member,souldn't have to leave my name and email address,can anyone tell me why  ???    Now for my comment. IF BLENDED  gasoline is allowed to set , will it leave  UNLEADED gasomine in the tank ???    JIM

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: JIM THOMAS on August 22, 2009, 11:19:28 PM
AUGUST THE 21ST @ ABOUT this time I posted a reply to a post that I think should  be answered, why do I .being a paid-up member,souldn't have to leave my name and email address,can anyone tell me why  ???        JIM
Jim,

One of the "Rules of Posting" states "All messages must be signed with proper name (no "handles")."

Everyone, Guests and Members, are supposed to comply with these rules and if you activate your Membership of this Forum, you can set it up so that you have your name appearing all the time when you post a message.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Carfreak

Quote from: JIM THOMAS on August 22, 2009, 11:19:28 PM

AUGUST THE 21ST @ ABOUT this time I posted a reply to a post that I think should  be answered, why do I .being a paid-up member, shouldn't have to leave my name and email address,can anyone tell me why  ???   

Jim,

Looks like you are not logged in as a Member; you are being shown as a Guest when you post. 

You need to click on the tab: Log In, enter your user id:  homeonprunehill and your Password to log back into the forum.   

Then you should be able to post as previously without entering your email address and name each time you want to post a comment.   

If you forget your password, there is a place to have click called "Forgot your password" to have it emailed to you.

No reason to continue to have problems, if you still can't figure out how to Log In again, be sure to ask the Moderators or Jeff Hansen for assistance to have your password reset. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

fward