News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to stop the slide of interest in old cars!!

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693, February 23, 2007, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I know when I take my 47 Coupe to the local coffee shop, I always get questions from some of the younger crowd in the 20s.  Some of them are interested in the engine, some in the design.  One young man is into restoring 1960s VW Bugs.  I took him for a short drive and he commented it was like riding in a piece of history.  A 27 year old mechanic has been driving a loaner Cadillac from a friend, and was buying a 1991 SeVille this weekend, and I am pretty sure Ive convinced him to join the club.  A young co-worker here has a tattoo of the hood emblem from a 1939 Cadillac on his arm.  Its hard to beat that for enthusiasm for the mark.  It may not be mainstream, but I think there will be an old car hobby in the future.

As for Japanese cars, I agree that a Toyota Corolla isnt likely to be seen as collectible, but there are collectible Japanese cars even now.  The Toyota 2000 GTs go for significant money.  The little Datsun roadsters of the 1960s have a devoted following.  The early Datsun Z cars have a big following.  The Mazda Cosmo, a short lived rotary powered luxury coupe has a following, and I was once told Jay Leno has one.

As the editor of the Dagmar, I try to make sure everyone gets represented.  I love seeing the #1 condition cars from the 1930s and 1940s, but I also run pictures of the #3 condition 1980s cars.  One member brings a Cimarron to our regional meet each year, and I think thats great.  I ran a picture of that car in our article last fall on the meet.  I think we need to work to make sure everyone feels welcome in the club.

Cadillac lover

I own a 1966 Cadillac Sedan deVille. I also own a 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra. The Mustang Cobra has been modified and gets a great deal of attention, especially from the police. But when I drive the Cadillac, everyone stops and stares and wonders. "What was that?" Both cars are beautiful. But it is amazing how kids under 16 will stop and stare and enjoy the fleeting moments of seeing a rare and beautiful sight of my 1966 Cadillac. I believe also, that it is important NOT to change or modify a large number of older Cadillacs. It is an unfortunate trend that many people are doing. Maybe a few cars, but leave most of them as originals or history will be lost. The sight of an original, untouched Cadillac is shocking to most people and gives the young generations a sense of what many of us experienced when the cars where new.

Andrew

Dave,

You have hit the nail on the head...  Rather than dwell on the negative, work to reach out to anyones interest in the marque.

I have recently purchased the seminal material from the CLCs formation from the records of a charter member.  Compared to 50 years ago, the old car hobby is amazingly vibrant!  Attitude is everything, clubs need to hold events that are recruiting opportunities!

Clubs are meant to foster camraderie among members and potential members, and your post proves that positive attitudes will continue to improve the hobby!