News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Dual Quad Breather Paint Color

Started by James Mundstock 23345, May 04, 2007, 12:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Mundstock 23345

I have the Authenticity manual and shop manual and part manual for my '55 Cadillac. I haven't been able to find the paint mixture codes for painting the gold Eldorado air cleaner and valve covers. It is possible I haven't looked in the right place but I have found other color codes but not what I am looking for. Does anyone have this. Thanks.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: James Mundstock  23345 on May 04, 2007, 12:08:00 PM
I have the Authenticity manual and shop manual and part manual for my '55 Cadillac. I haven't been able to find the paint mixture codes for painting the gold Eldorado air cleaner and valve covers. It is possible I haven't looked in the right place but I have found other color codes but not what I am looking for. Does anyone have this. Thanks.

Jim:

I just finished restoration of a '55 Eldo.  You're right -- the formulation for this paint
doesn't exist in any literature that I could find.  I had a paint shop match it up by
spectro using an original part.  This is not a really "bright gold" but rather a subdued
gold with brownish undertones.  I don't have a formula -- will be glad to E-Mail a
few pics to you if that would help.  Otherwise, I'll have the car in Savannah and
we can talk there.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

57 Ritz

Duplicolor universal gold matched my original parts. The CLC authenticity manual lists a paint code for the 58s at the bottom of the paint chips.

James Mundstock

Thanks for the replies. I thought of the spectro off an original but the previous owner had mine top batwing in primer and the air cleaner buckets were rust molecules holding hands. I'll try thr Dupli-color universal gold and see how it looks. Another thought I had was the Oldsmobile gold engine paint from 1957. If the grntileman with the '58 could email me what he has from his authenticity manual, I would appreciate it. The address is james.mundstock@fuse.net. Thanks to all.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: James Mundstock on May 05, 2007, 05:49:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I thought of the spectro off an original but the previous owner had mine top batwing in primer and the air cleaner buckets were rust molecules holding hands. I'll try thr Dupli-color universal gold and see how it looks. Another thought I had was the Oldsmobile gold engine paint from 1957. If the grntileman with the '58 could email me what he has from his authenticity manual, I would appreciate it. The address is james.mundstock@fuse.net. Thanks to all.

Jim:

I've heard that the Oldsmobile engine paint is a very close match -- I never tried that but
best of luck.  Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Podany #19567

Jim,

The 24 caret gold paint for the bat wing and valve covers for a 55 Eldorado can be formulated and purchased from FEN Enterprises: 1090 Route 376; Wappingers Falls, NY 12590:  Contact Elsa.  Phone: 845-462-5959.  I recently had my favorite body shop use this paint to refinish the batwing parts and valve covers on my 55 Eldorado, and it is perfect.  The paint is expensive, I think it was about $100.00 for a half pint, but well worth the duplicative quality to the original color and finish.

Bill Podany #19567
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado