News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Fuel Pump, one good squirt then It seems like it's pumping air.

Started by Christopher Petti, September 30, 2009, 01:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Petti

Quote from: Dave and Deb on October 09, 2009, 06:44:13 PM
I've had three new fuel pumps give me trouble in the last couple of years.  Each time one of the brass valves had come slightly dislodged.  The symptoms of this is starving for fuel/reduced flow.

Unscrew the top cover and double check the valves haven't moved.

Dave 
Thanks for the suggestion Mate, I'm trying to debug this bugger and It's giving me one hell of a run for my money. With the cool weather it ran great, but yeah, I was haveing issues once I really stepped o it into it. But after about ten minutes of driving it really stopped starving for gas, but then later on during the crusie it did it again. It's playing with my mind.
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

Christopher Petti

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on October 09, 2009, 04:18:10 PM
Read the pump where you fill up. It will tell you what percentage of ethanol is in the gasoline. I'm not aware of any locales where ethanol levels vary between grades of gasoline. It's possible I guess but I don't see why that would be.

In Atlanta, by federal mandate, all gasoline n the metro area has 10% ethanol regardless of octane rating.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try 89 or 87 octane and see what happens.

My car has a Carter WCFB. It's been a really good carburetor ever since I bought the car. I rebuilt it once.

Otto, I'm doing this blindfolded and I'm only going to try a couple gallons and see what happens. I already placed a phone call and email to a couple gas companies inquiring about their fuels. Their websites are good but I want to know it all.
And uses too much gas
And one car that will do

Christopher Petti

Call me an idiot but I finally figured out the carburator. When I tell you what I did wrong rebuilding it you may laugh at me or understand because you ahve seen the diagrams. When rebuilding the carb I put the needle pins in upside down. :( I'm soooo stupid! I just looked at the diagram and I did put them in upside down. I thought when I took the originals out the pointed end was down. Unbelievable! So Turned those around and put a larger pump in. The one Kanter sent me in the mail with my rebuild kit was too small. Now the carb runs flawlessly and loves this cool weather. I've been driving up and down the freeways around detroit burning off all the crap in my cylinders and off my heads because I've been running rich all summer. Finally! Finally!

everyone thanks for all your help, this was a rookie error.
And uses too much gas
And one car that will do

carguyblack

Forrest AKA Otto,
I thought you might go into your recommendation of using a casauba melon or an acorn squash for this guys' fuel temperature regulation issue again! You let me down.
By the way, I still fall off my chair when I read that posting. Thanks!! Chuck
Sorry to interrupt an otherwise serious posting here guys!
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE