News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79 Eldorado water temp sensor

Started by DaveShreiner CLC#23834, July 18, 2007, 08:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Hi, I'm a new member of the CLC.  I thought it was about time to join since I now have 4 classic Caddys.

My problem is with an open resistor in the water temperature sensor in the 5.7L EFI engine.  I can't find a replacement sensor.  I've fooled the analog computer by putting a 900 Ohm resistor in the circuit with a switch below the dash to cut it off after the engine is warm.  This works pretty well but it isn't kosher.  Without some kind of fix, the engine starts and dies immediately until it gets warm enough. 

Any ideas about where to find the unobtainable?  Or how to fix an epoxy sealed resistor?  :)
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

TJ Hopland

I like your fix, at least it works.

I knew I had seen them somewhere, just took a while to find it again since I dont own one of those cars at the moment.

Maximum Torque Specialties (MTS)
Paul Lane, Executive VP
13641 John Glenn Rd #B

Apple Valley, CA 92308
US
Telephone: (760) 247-2533
Fax: (760) 247-0062
E-mail: Marty@mtscadparts.com

Their part number is EL31 and online price is $47.95 at the moment.

http://www.mtscadparts.com/

I either dont know how to do links or the site is not link friendly so you have to click on the picture, online store tab, click here to enter mts web store in the middle of page ,type in EL31 in search.

I have bought many parts from this guy since he took over the business and moved it to CA from WI and have never had any problems with his products or service.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

I found it!  Thanks a bunch!  I really appreciate the time it must have taken you to locate this sensor.  I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks again.   :)
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834