News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"The Modifieds"

Started by Johnny F #662, August 06, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny F #662

It appears that a current debate or controversy concerning the club is the issue of "Modifieds".  There appears to be 3 sides to them.  Folks are either "fer em", "agin em" or neutral with reservations.  This years Grand National, had no less then 4 truly beautiful modifieds.  While everyone that viewed them was greatly impressed, not everyone was in agreement to what their position should be within the CLC.  I chatted with a few people about them, and no one was really passionate one way or the other, but all agreed that it was better to take some of these classic Cadillacs and modify them rather then let them suffer at the jaws of the crusher.  Here is a couple of examples of the modifieds that were at the Grand National.  As you can, the modifications were not just a matter of hanging a fox tail and putting on lake pipes.

35-709

Here's the Northstar engine installation in the white '34 convertible coupe above .......
8)

Thank you to everyone responsible for putting on the Savannah GN, my wife and I had a wonderful time, and our '71 Sedan deVille performed flawlessly for the entire 900+ miles we put on her.
:D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Sled

im all for modifieds!

Hahha  :D
1950 Cad. 500 bb. Air ride

CLC# 23491

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Johnny,
Please believe me when I tell you that this is not a new debate; it's been going on for years and neither the fer ems or (particularly) the agin ems are likely to change their minds on this subject!  Glad you enjoyed the GN.

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397 on August 06, 2007, 05:30:32 PM
Johnny,
Please believe me when I tell you that this is not a new debate; it's been going on for years and neither the fer ems or (particularly) the agin ems are likely to change their minds on this subject!  Glad you enjoyed the GN.

Hi Rusty,

I might have somewhat misworded my original post.  I am aware that the debate has been going on for sometime now, and in the past, from my observation it has leaned somewhat negative.  I think in recent years, the modifieds have been gaining some steam, and are becoming more visible in club events.  I think when many members see these cars, and chat with the owners as I did, I think will learn to give some more consideration to these entities, and give them their due, and maybe realize there is room for them in the CLC.  By the way, i saw my first modified over 20 years ago at the Grand National in Dallas.  I believe it was a 41 coupe.  While I was sort of purist, I still thought the car was real cool, and a great idea.

BadJack

Well, we were supposed to be there with "Elvira" but had some last minute problems and couldn't make it.

She has a 500 and a '76 front clip among other mods.

BadJack
Joe Abernathy #17524
Joe

Fred Zwicker #23106

;)  I have owned many cars in my life and am currently doing a full restoration on my 1939 LaSalle Covertible Coupe and it will be 100% original - see www.fzoldcars.com for over 100 pictures of this restoration in process.  My first car was a Model A Pickup and I did a body-off restoration many years ago.  Since then have owned and restored a 1939 LaSalle Sedan, many Lincoln Continental Convertibles, Corvette and Mustang Convertibles - alll were kept original.  However, things are changing and we should become aware of what is coming in regards to modified vehicles.  

Looking at the 2 older Cadillac "modified" cars pictured on this forum at the GN was very interesting and I can say that I really appreciate all of the effort and cost put into such vehicles. I wouild be more than happy to drive  either one and I feel that members should welcome such owners as CLC members.  Whether we like them or not, they are certainly practical for today's highways (so are most of our Cadillacs and LaSalles).  If we would spend some time looking under the hood and talking to the owners of this type of vehicle, we would learn to appreciate the great amount of work that goes into such a project (probably more work than an original restoration).  The owners can be very interesting as well as they are the type that gets under the car and gets their hands dirty in building such vehicles.  

We are all Cadillac and LaSalle lovers and regardless of what our members come up with is good enough for me.  In fact, I really enjoyed seeing these 2 Cadillac modifieds that were at the GN  and printed pictures to show to our son and our body man (Bob Darney) who is working on my LaSalle restoration.   Bob recently purchased a 1949 Cadillac slant back and is going to add a Northstar engine and modern drive train, keeping the rest of the car original in appearance. I think he is making the right move, as such a car will be very practical as Bob likes to drive his cars.  Bob is also a CLC member, joining just last month. When he finishes the car, I will post some pictures.  I can tell you that it will be as good as it gets when it is finished. He now has the body on a turntable and is rebuilding the body to 100% original specs.  If he gets the car finished by next year, we may take both my LaSalle (original) and his 49 Cadillac to the GN in Cherry Hill.  

I also once purchased a 1934 Dodge Street Rot Pickup in a blinding snowstorm back in the 1970s, which I brought back to an original look, but retained the modern drive train and automatci tranny.  Later I gave this Street Rod to our son, who spent a year and a half in building one of the nicest street rods in our area, adding a new 350 cubic inch crate engine, auto transmission, power brakes, stereo - everything includng ostrich upholstery.  When this pickup pulls into a car show, it really turns a lot of heads and it also picks up trophys in the process.  Not a Cadillac, but it does have a GM engine, so I am posting photos for anyone intersted in such a vehicle.

Fred Zwicer

1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Johnny F #662

Quote from: BadJack on August 06, 2007, 09:11:36 PM
Well, we were supposed to be there with "Elvira" but had some last minute problems and couldn't make it.

She has a 500 and a '76 front clip among other mods.

BadJack
Joe Abernathy #17524

Hi Joe,

Thanks for providing us with another style of a "modified".

Doug Houston

I'm wearing my flak jacket now, and I'll need it in a few seconds!

I'm amused at some of the reasons that hot rodders ("modified" in their parlance) have for making a car into a hotrod. First: Saved from a crusher..  I  saved all 11 of my collector cars from crushers, and mysteriously, they're like the factory made them! Nobody forced me to turn them into hotrods. Secondly: I want to drive it.  I have no trouble driving my as-original cars, especially the  Cadillacs. Tey're just great on the highway. They're at home on the highway. Thirdly: You can't get parts for old cars. Check Hemmings, and see just what parts are available. The guy who wants to rebuild a Duesenberg engine can get parts for  even that if he wants them. Parts for vintage Cadillac engines are reasonably easy to find.   

It all comes down to: if a guy wants to make a hotrod out of some car; he'll do it, excuses or no excuses. I can envision the day when there will be no such thing as a factory original car. In days past, wrecked or junked cars were resurrected into racing sleds, and their inhabitants were simply noisy nuisances. Today, hot rodders have lots of money, and they spend it lavishly on hot rods. It's more fun than giving their kids an education. They make sure that the kids don't want an education, which clears the way for the $75K or so for their racing sled.  I've seen near-100 point cars gutted, chassis hacked with different chassis components, the interior outfitted with cheap plastic upholstered seats, dime store instruments, and of course, the "required"  yellow flames on the sheet metal. Artisans, they!

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Doug Houston on August 06, 2007, 11:33:13 PM

I'm amused at some of the reasons that hot rodders ("modified" in their parlance) have for making a car into a hot rod. First: Saved from a crusher..  I  saved all 11 of my collector cars from crushers, and mysteriously, they're like the factory made them! Nobody forced me to turn them into hot rods. Secondly: I want to drive it.  I have no trouble driving my as-original cars, especially the  Cadillacs. There just great on the highway. They're at home on the highway. Thirdly: You can't get parts for old cars. Check Hemmings, and see just what parts are available. The guy who wants to rebuild a Duesenberg engine can get parts for  even that if he wants them. Parts for vintage Cadillac engines are reasonably easy to find.   

It all comes down to: if a guy wants to make a hot rod out of some car; he'll do it, excuses or no excuses. I can envision the day when there will be no such thing as a factory original car. In days past, wrecked or junked cars were resurrected into racing sleds, and their inhabitants were simply noisy nuisances. Today, hot rodders have lots of money, and they spend it lavishly on hot rods. It's more fun than giving their kids an education. They make sure that the kids don't want an education, which clears the way for the $75K or so for their racing sled.  I've seen near-100 point cars gutted, chassis hacked with different chassis components, the interior outfitted with cheap plastic upholstered seats, dime store instruments, and of course, the "required"  yellow flames on the sheet metal. Artisans, they!

Well Doug, allow me to first commend you on your bravery you demonstrated with your post on your take on modifieds.   ;)  Before I continue let me say that I am on the fence with modifieds, in other words "I don't have a dog in this fight".   ::)    I think we can all agree that a individual has the right to do whatever they want with a car that they own.  The only issue here is should they be part of the CLC, and if so, in what capacity.  It is my opinion that the reason for the controversy surrounding modified Cadillacs, is because of the panache and mystique that has always been associated with the Cadillac name.  Unlike Chey's and Fords, which were the cars most young people could afford in their youths, Cadillac was the marquee most associated with wealth and success, and mostly affordable by individuals that attained financial success in their later years, way past the time they wanted to "modify" their land yachts.  Today Chevy and Ford folks have no problem accepting mofiieds into their clubs.

With all due respect Doug, I can not fully agree with your assessment of the reasons individuals choose to modify over restoring to original.  First of all I think its unfair and unnecessary to make the assumption that "hot rodders" prefer to spend money on their hobby rather then send their children to college.  Its disingenuous to lump these individuals with people that drink or gamble away their children's college money.  As you stated it takes 75K+ to put together one of these modifieds.  I am not an economist, but I think a person that has this much discretionary capital to devout to a hobby, would most likely also have enough left over to send their children to college, and most likely Ivy League ones.

Yes i think they have saved them from the crusher.  My observation is that with each passing year, interest in restoring older cars is waning.  I could be wrong, and most times I am, but I don't think there are that many individuals today, that want to take the time and money to restore a 70 year old car.

Sure the older cars are most certainly drivable, even long distances, but quite frankly for comfort and dependability, I don't think you can beat a 30's Cadillac with modern air conditioning, and the comforts of modern options.  Not everyone has that spirit of adventure of motoring.

There is no denying that obtaining parts to restore most Cadillacs are still somewhat easily obtainable........at a price, and most times a very high price!  The vendors know this, and unlike the "old days" there isn't too much haggling for a lower price.  Did you see the post concerning a person that just started restoring a Cadillac, and the problems he had in the way he was treated?

Sure while there will be the modifieds with flames, lake pipes and raccoon tails, but there will also be the gorgeous examples they were at the Grand National.  Everyone got great admiration from most that saw them.

In any event it will interesting to see where the modifieds will fit in, within the CLC.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Doug, et al,

First let me say that I am the President of the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, and proud of it.

Having said that, I appreciate all forms of motor vehicles, with exception to the latest craze of Rat Rods.   Then if everyone loved everything, then life wouldn't be worth living.

I have saved many cars from the tip, or Crusher as has been put, and built them into Hot Rods.   And not too much money is spend doing so.   One car took 11 vehicles to supply enough parts just to complete the body, such were the condition of the parts I salvaged from the countryside.   But, if I had a restore-able example of anything, I would be trying to bring it back to life, and believe me, I wouldn't be spending too much money doing it as my Family comes First, Second and Third.

But, I can also appreciate the wants and needs for someone to be "different", and many times when people have mentioned about cutting something up, instead of trying to dissuade them from simply chopping it up, I have encouraged them to pass on the parts they remove to others that might actually be chasing those parts.   I hate throwing anything on the tip, and by the time I do throw something away, trust me, it isn't fit for anything else.   That is why my Garage is so full.

The Modified Chapter has many CLC Members and visitors, and the membership is constantly growing, and these Visitors are becoming Full Members of the CLC.   This we encourage but no pressure is applied whatsoever.

One of the real problems with young people, and older Cadillacs, is that, unlike the older generation of vehicle owners, these young people never had a Cadillac-owning parent in their growing up, and don't have the passion that we have.

Cadillac themselves, and other brands, did a dis-service by making the cars that they did in the 80's and these never encouraged young people to buy them and bring up their families in them.   My Father had a '36 Ford as his first car, and didn't sell it till 1961, and by then, I was "Ford" induced, but as well as owning English and French Cars, I soon got into American cars.

One of the biggest problems with getting the younger folk into older cars is that they simply cannot afford to pay the prices that the owners of these cars are wanting for them when they want to sell.   Some people seem to forget that when they purchased their pride and joys, they were plentiful, and therefore reasonably cheap to buy, as everyone was into buying the latest model, which was what the Makers wanted by changing the designs and shapes constantly.   My first car was a very tidy 1936 Vauxhall that I purchased as a trade-in for $30.00, back in 1964.   It was Registered and got me on the road.   That was only 3 weeks wage as a 1st year Apprentice, or less than one weeks wage as a Tradesman.   These days, to get a car in similar condition, Registered would cost proportionately more, and be a 1987 model, and have no charm whatsoever.

The Modified Chapter is strong, and growing.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Fred Zwicker #23106

Due to the nature of our business (TP Tools in Canfield, Ohio), I have attend the Carlisle and Hershey shows every year since 1973.  At Carlisle, anything goes - there are many doing 100% restorations that go to Carlisle to get parts for their restorations and there are others going the modified route.  At Hershey, things are changing rapidly and we better be prepared for that change.  The big interest and most rapidly increasing cars of value are the 50s and 60s muscle cars.  Some of the restorations of these cars is amazing and from what I am able to determine, the owner's family is not hurting for money.  Some of these cars are kept 100% original, but many others look original until you lift the hood and see a beautiful engine compartment full of chrome and trimmed up in grand style.  Even if you don't like such vehicles, I challenge you to compare their engine compartments with most of your own.

At Hersey 30 years ago, you dare not mention the word "hot rod" or "street rod" as you would be taken back a bit in no uncertain terms. Now I am amazed at how many of those at Hershey own modifieds in addition to their original cars.  A younger group is coming up and they are not used to cars that don't start, headlights that are not bright, brakes that are unsafe (by today's standards) and they like an automatic transmission, as they probably never even drove stick shift.  They also like air conditioning, power steering and a nice sound system.  But they still like old cars and some of their restorations are beyond belief. If 100% originality was required, it is not likely that they would even be interested in old cars.  These newcomers are a big part of the hobby and should be accepted soon or we won't have such a hobby.  In time, this segment will be larger than our true original segment of the hobby, if not so already.  My son attended the Street Rod Nationals last weekend in Louisville and the show was huge and money is being spent by those who would probably have no interest in doing a 100% original car.  So my advice is to accept it and enjoy.

Most car shows today have classes for original cars and classes for modifieds and everyone seems to get along nicely.  At these shows, the younger crowd (under 40) seems to be attracted to the modifieds.  They also look at and appreciate the original old pre-war cars, but the modifieds seem to get more attention from the general public, who do not know about our rule that every old car should be kept original.  The resale value of these modified cars can be more than the same car in original condition, so what does that mean?   It means that we  must all co-exist as antique car restorers and should appreciate the work of others, regardless of our particular opinion.  Even many of the "old guys" have both original cars and modifieds and no longer do I hear much criticism from even them.  In my case, could not believe the beauty of the older white Cadillac convertible (pictured from the GN in another post).  From the outside you would never believe it had a Northstar engine.  I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the interior if anyone has any.  I bet the owner drove the car to Atlanta, but I could be wrong.

A friend of mine from Oklahoma (now deceased) owned both a 1940 Lincoln Continental (original) and a 1940 Continental (modified).  From the outside, only the radial tires gave an indication that the modified car was not original.  Which Lincoln did he drive all over and which did he show often ... the modified.  He told me that it had a Corvette engine and drive train, power steering and brakes - "everything".  He displayed it with pride at many Lincoln shows and he drove it hundreds of milles to these shows on a steady basis.  He was an old car guy from day one and all of his other cars were originals.  He even drove an original 1936 Ford in the Great American Race about 20 years ago.  Along the way, he accepted the present changes and enjoyed these changes, yet still had a love and appreciation for true antique cars.  Last Thanksgiving he was planning on attending our Thanksgiving Sale and driving his modified Lincoln from Tulsa to Ohio, but in the meantime had a serious open heart operation and sadly passed away at age 86.  So what was good enough for him is good enough for me and I will accept and welcome anyone interested in any part of the hobby to the CLC and any other clubs that I favor, regardless of his or her choice of vehicle (original or modified). 

I tell my friends who observe some of the costs incurred with my past original restorations that "it keeps me out of the bars" or "it's better than spending my money on drugs".  Other than my 1934 Dodge Pickup (now owned by my son), all of my cars were always 100% original and I kept them original, as I am now doing with my LaSalle convertible.  On the Dodge, I bought it as a street rod with a chicken wire mesh grille, roll bar, trailer rear fenders, new Chevy engine, automatic transmission and all new wiring (unfortunately wires were all red in color and no schematic).  It would have been almost impossible and certainly financially impractical to bring this car back to original, but I wanted to make it look more original.  I located an original grille, original fenders, original headlight buckets and original tail lights.  I spent several years in putting it back to an original look, other than sealed beam headlights, dashboard, interior and wheels.  I drove this pickup just about anywhere for over 20 years and it kept up easily with traffic, as it was formerly a very successful drag racing car at our local drag strip.  A 1934 Dodge original pickup truck could not compare in speed, handling or ride.  In my travels, never had anyone criticize the car, as it had a semi-original look and a great look as well.  It had no flames, no huge wheels or spinners, no raccoon tail, nothing out of the ordinary except the wheels were modern chrome wire wheels that were very appropriate for the car.  I am attaching a picture after the first restoration that provided many years of fun driving and never a mechanical problem in any of those years.   An earlier post showed the truck after a complete rebuilding last year.

My idea of a perfect modified for those who want to go that route is what they call a "resto-rod", where the car looks as original as possible from the outside, but with modern drive train. For those who prefer, keeping any car 100% original is still probably the best option, but is only an option, depending on the owner's particular preference.  Other than the Dodge Pickup, all of my other cars have been originals. In other words, I am willing to accept unrestored cars, restored cars or modified resto-rods.   Many of these cars would never have been restored in the first place and probably junked if it were not possible to do some custom work to get them back on the road and I do not criticize anyone for doing whatever they want with their cars and their money.  So either accept changes in our hobby or watch it slowly die out.  I am even more concerned about attempting to restore our modern cars in 20 years with all of the computer issues that we face today and possible restrictions from our trusted politicians.

Fred Zwicker

Johnny F #662

Fred,

Excellent post, I could not have said it better myself.  I think you have concisely outlined the state of the hobby today.

Sled

Im a new guy of sorts, but i feel i need to speak my mind.

Some things you need to know about me.

Im 22 years old, i saved my hard earned dollars to buy and build MY 1950 62 series how I WANTED it.

Ok you may be thinking, stupid young kid, hacking up his 4-door to make a "rat rod" and he has no respect for the Cadillac Name.

Untrue.

Infact i was one who joined the CLC from the Modified forum, those guys over there are family and have been great help. So i figured if thats the case then the CLC is something i want to be apart of!

Since then, i have spread my wings, wanting to learn more as an eager young man and have drifted over here to the motherboard, and have talked about also joining my local regional chapter, which again welcomed me with open arms.

Dont hate us because our styles are different. I love coming over here and reading all the tech articles about resto stuff, and deffently respect all of your work.

I do what i can when i can on my car, its a never ending project and i dont have 75k to spend on it, again im only 22.

Respect what i do and the position that we belong in the CLC, because i dont want to leave!  ;)

Matt
CLC# 23491

1950 Cad. 500 bb. Air ride

CLC# 23491

Guidematic

Great words, Sled!

I often, when considering the state of the art in Hot Roddig, Modifieing, or whatever you want to call it, sit back and look at how I viewed cars in my early 20's. I was a tried a true car nut at that age and had discovered Cadillacs and longed for one. But all I could afford were old beaters for transportation. I did what I had to do just to keep them on the road. If it was modifying, well then so be it.

I also wanted to add options and improve the appearance. This was and is a form of modifying, but using OEM optional equipment that I robbed from other parts cars. That's what I could afford. I think it's still my basic theme of modifying. To take the best of what was available within the marque and time frame to improve my car.

In the years that have transpired, I have seen such a huge transformation in modified cars. They have gone from often backyard jobs done on a budget to so really slick, refined and beautiful interpretations. They are well engineered and can be used reliably for long trips. This is the rule, and was the exception 25-30 years ago.

In reality, if we want this hobby to even continue, let alone grow, we must open our minds to what the tastes of the younger generation want. There are still a lot of good original Cadillacs that are available on the cheap, but these are generally 80's and 90's cars which are termed "Late Model" here and are often shunned by the "purists" with the high dollar originals of a bygone era.

These are the cars the youth are buying, the cars they can afford, and the cars that not only get them into the old car hobby, but into Cadillacs. We should be welcoming them with open arms. Like it or not, they are the future of the hobby.

As time goes on, they will see and appreciate many nice originals, and eventually own one or many of them. Along with the modifieds that first got them into the hobby.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Johnny F #662

Quote from: Sled on August 07, 2007, 11:07:51 AM
Im a new guy of sorts, but i feel i need to speak my mind.

Some things you need to know about me.

Im 22 years old, i saved my hard earned dollars to buy and build MY 1950 62 series how I WANTED it.

Ok you may be thinking, stupid young kid, hacking up his 4-door to make a "rat rod" and he has no respect for the Cadillac Name.

Untrue.

Infact i was one who joined the CLC from the Modified forum, those guys over there are family and have been great help. So i figured if that's the case then the CLC is something i want to be apart of!

Since then, i have spread my wings, wanting to learn more as an eager young man and have drifted over here to the motherboard, and have talked about also joining my local regional chapter, which again welcomed me with open arms.

Dont hate us because our styles are different. I love coming over here and reading all the tech articles about resto stuff, and definitely respect all of your work.

I do what i can when i can on my car, its a never ending project and i dont have 75k to spend on it, again im only 22.

Respect what i do and the position that we belong in the CLC, because i dont want to leave!  ;)

Matt
CLC# 23491

Matt,

Welcome aboard.  Let me first say, that although some might not be too enthused about the growing popularity of "modifieds", and are passionate about keeping the cars "original", let me assure there is no "hate" or "disrespect" toward you or any other modified owner.  Opinions that are sometimes passionate concerning modifieds are the same as when discussing one's favorite football team, or who was better, Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays?  The fact is that ALL car clubs need participation by young men as yourself in order to survive.  As time goes by, the hobby has will continue to have to change with the times in order to keep "old cars" on the road.

Stampie

I  saved all 11 of my collector cars from crushers, and mysteriously, they're like the factory made them!

How many 41 Cadillacs came with 46 to 48 transmissions?

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,98935.0.html

Stampie

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

BadJack

Doug Houston owned!

Quote from: Michael Stamps on August 07, 2007, 06:28:46 PM

I  saved all 11 of my collector cars from crushers, and mysteriously, they're like the factory made them!

Stampie

So much for the purist.  Where do you draw the line?

BJ

Joe Abernathy #17524
Joe

Fred Zwicker #23106

:D  Talking about "modifieds" this evening I was reading a magazine ad by The Cadillac LaSalle Club - Western Reserve Region (Ohio).  Ad was promoting an upcoming show on Sunday 8/19/07 at the Legacy Village, Lyndhurst, Ohio (Cleveland Suburb).  Here is what the ad states:

"Pre-1977 Cadillacs only, please - All Commercial, Professional, Custom, Modified and Rod Cadillacs are welcome. No-Non Cadillacs will be permitted on display. Fire Extinguishers are required for display & judging - No For Sale signs permitted on display Cadillacs"

I guess the Cadillac LaSalle Club of NE Ohio has learned that acceptance of modified Cadillacs isn't so bad after all.  I am certain that their membership is substantially larger than if the club  allowed original Cadillacs and LaSalle owners only.  I am also certain that the attendance at this show will be improved as a result of their very liberal restrictions as to what type of Cadillacs and LaSalles are permitted.  By welcoming all Cadillacs, they have taken a step forward that will enhance their club and increase the number of members.  Times are changing and all of us should be willing to accept these changes.

For clarification, I have a 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe that is in process of a total original restoration.  I appreciate having the opportunity to restore such a fine vehicle and am keeping it 100% original, because that is what I want.  I like restored original cars, but also like to see modified versions as well and I certainly appreciate the efforts of many members of the younger generation that are modifying their Cadillacs.

Weather permitting, I will be attending the show at Legacy Village and I will be checking out all of the older Cadillacs and LaSalles and will also be checking out any Cadillacs that were modified.   With a show of this type, visitors can browse the cars and concentrate on whatever interest they have.  As a result, the show will have many more cars, have better attendance and just might bring some young blood into the hobby.

Fred Zwicker

Porter

Quote from: BadJack on August 07, 2007, 09:52:55 PM
Doug Houston owned!

Quote from: Michael Stamps on August 07, 2007, 06:28:46 PM

Stampie

So much for the purist.  Where do you draw the line?

BJ

Joe Abernathy #17524

Well,

To be fair the early days of auto tyranny's were transitional times, then you add in the war period and the newer technology that was developed during that time.

So parts will be scarce from that era.

Not much different than installing a shift kit or using a heavy duty parts rebuild kit for a powerglide, THM tranny, 700 R4, etc.

I have to give Doug Houston credit for sharing his expertise on this subject and would certainly follow his lead here if in the same situation.

Porter