News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1991 Fleetwood Brougham Fault code

Started by tim, September 26, 2007, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim

While driving home from work today, my Service Engine Soon light came on.    It stays on steadily; it does not flash. I noticed no loss of power, everything seems fine.  I looked it over when i got home, and saw nothing out of the ordinary.  After looking online, i found out about the Electronic Climate control / diagnostic display.  with key on, engine off, i pressed and held the off and warmer button for 3 seconds and let go.  The display showed 00 and then showed 149.  these are the only codes that appeared.  Does anyone know what a 149 code means.  I cant find anything about it.  Thanks, tim

TJ Hopland

91 would be OBD1 codes.  Its been a while since I messed with one but I dont remember the codes going past 99.  Its possible that Cadillac had aditional codes related to things that only cadillacs had.   I remember on my 83 after the regular engine code sequence you could run thorugh a bunch more tests if you had the book and knew what to do when and what the numbers meant.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

tim

Quote from: tim on September 26, 2007, 07:16:28 PM
While driving home from work today, my Service Engine Soon light came on.    It stays on steadily; it does not flash. I noticed no loss of power, everything seems fine.  I looked it over when i got home, and saw nothing out of the ordinary.  After looking online, i found out about the Electronic Climate control / diagnostic display.  with key on, engine off, i pressed and held the off and warmer button for 3 seconds and let go.  The display showed 00 and then showed 149.  these are the only codes that appeared.  Does anyone know what a 149 code means.  I cant find anything about it.  Thanks, tim

well, after even closer inspection, i found that the bakelite top portion of the coolant temperature sensor had broken, so the wires were not making good contact.  I removed the harness plug from the broken piece, and super glued it back onto the CTS.  After it dried, i plugged the wires back in and started the car.  The S.E.S. light went out.  One of the few times when good fortune smiled on me. 

car is for sale, if anyone interested.  email  me and we can talk.  road69runnr@hotmail.com

Kevin M. Parkinson

While it seems you may have fixed the problem, here is an answer to your original question.

I have a small booklet titled  "Cadillac 1991 DeVille and Brougham Vehichle Diagnostic System".
It says that after you enter diagnostics by pressing "off" and "warmer" you get the malfunction codes.
If the code is two digits it is a current code. 
If the code is three digits starting with a "1" it is a history code.
49 = High Engine Temperature (Comp. Off)

Kevin
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum