News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need help on removing differential axle oil seal from 47 Cadi

Started by Lincoln41, September 29, 2007, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln41

I removed the driveshaft and trying to replace both the front and back oil seals.  I am unable to remove the rear differential hub to get to the seal. I also need help in replacing the front transmission seal. Thank you
Tony #22054

Bill Ingler #7799

A couple years ago Brad Ipsen wrote a detailed procedure for removal and installation of the rear axel pinon oil seal. If you go to the search section of this thread page, type in Brad Ipsen and it should bring up his recent postings. If the pinion seal procedure is not posted then his email address will be posted.If you email him and I am sure he would send you the information.

Bill Ingler #7799

I also should have added that if you are replacing the pinion seal you should also pull the axles and look very closely at the axle bearings. Unless you know that these bearings have been replaced then you should consider replacing with new bearings. The original bearings were sealed New Departure Bearings so any grease left in the original bearing is probably nil so under a long drive without grease they will get hot, seize and do all sorts of nasty things like cause the brake fluid to catch fire. I have seen two fires on tours, both fires were put out with minimal damage but it did get the attention of the rest of the Cadillac/La Salle owners. Of course when you pull the axles it is also a good idea to put in new axle oil seals. If you replace the axle bearings, use an arbor type press to press off and on the bearings. If you use a punch to hammer off the bearings, then you run the risk of the punch digging into the axle running surface for the oil seal. Then oil will leak out past the seal/bearing and get on the brake shoes.