News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Tail light bulb access

Started by Ian clc#20080, October 30, 2007, 06:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian clc#20080

Hi folks,

A local member here in South Australia has just purchased a 1966 convertible and needs to get access to the tail light bulbs.  He's ordered a workshop manual but that won't arrive for some time yet.  He's had a good look around the rear of the car and can't figure out how to get the lenses out to access the bulbs.

As usual any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,  Ian.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Ian,

If you have small hands, you can get behind the lens and remove the socket.  Remove or open a portion of the rubber splash shield. Spray some penetrating lubricant on the socket screws. Back the screw off a few turns using a very, very short Phillips screw driver. Twist the socket and it will pull out of the lens backing. Given the confined space, it is impossible to see what you’re doing when your hand is in there working. Take your time, because if you can’t do it this way, you’ll have to remove the bumper end.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

35-709

:D  We've been down this road several times --- Ralph touched on it --- the Shop Manual will say to drop the bumper --- how's that for convenient?  Borders on the ludicrous but that is what it says! 

"If you have small hands, you can get behind the lens and remove the socket."

A friend found it easiest to reach up in there while the car was on a lift, but of course not everyone has that option.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Gary McKinney

I've replaced tail light bulbs on both sides of my '66 Eldorado by reaching up from under the car.  It's a tight fit, but it can be done (and I don't have particularly small hands).  The suggestion to apply a penetrating fluid first is a good one.  It's also a really good idea to wear some goggles (at least safety glasses with side shields) as lots of dirt will likely fall into your face during the process. 

Gary McKinney

Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

Ian clc#20080

Thanks for your input.  Designers do peculiar things at times and this seems to be a good example!

Regards Ian.

LBF

When I had to replace a taillight in my '66 Superior Combination (in the parking lot at a PCS International meet, mind you!) I couldn't reach the bulb, but could see a scew that held the light socket in its place.  I had to bend a small phillips screwdriver at a 90 degree angle to access the screw, and it took quite some time to get it loosened up.  Once one screw was loose, the light socket came out and I was able to get the bulb out.  What a pain!
Matthew Taylor

Davidinhartford

A buddy of mine had a 66 Brougham.      It had both reverse lamps burnt out.

He had to drop the bumper to change them.