News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Slow Power Windows

Started by Dennis DiNorcia #19071, November 14, 2007, 12:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

I have posted this question before but still have the same problem. I have a 1989 Sedan DeVille that has to have the slowest windows in the country, especially the driver's window. Down works relatively good but bringing them back up us another story. I have followed previous advise of cleaning the grease off the tracks and band and reapplying fresh white grease, but they are still too slow. In the cold days of winter, the driver side moves so slow it wants to stop. I noticed on the driver one in particular, when I push out a little on the glass, it seems to move a little faster. Could it be that these need be be re-aligned in the track so there is no drag when trying to bring them up. I was told that the motors would not have an affect on this but my question is, could it be over time that the brushes or motor armature could be dirty or worn causing this to happen. I need to get these to work properly. Please help. Thank You.

Brandon

Dennis, I had the same problem with a T-Bird some years ago; went through all the steps you describe, eventually replacing the motors with no improvement.
Finally, I had an Auto Electrician test everything and he found that there was a considerable voltage drop at the motors caused by age in the wiring and he fitted relays in the doors which solved the problem.
I hope this is of assistance to you.

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

Thanks for the advice. I am wondering as a test, if I could use the same gauge wire and run it directly to the motor and see if it improves the speed. I know if I bring it to an auto electrician it will cost me big time. I may try that as soon as I can get the door apart and I will post the results. If anyone has any other suggestions I will be glad to listen. Thanks again.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I used to have an SUV that had a similar problem.  Reading the forum for that make I discovered many people having the same issue.  The problem was the rubber weatherstrip the window slid up and down in, which was hardening.  There was a quick fix, once a year spray silicon spray into the inside of the rubber channel, and the windows kept working fine.  Just thought I'd throw that out there, it may not be the case, but it's 5 minutes to try it.

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe