News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

CLC Relationship with The Gilmore

Started by Bryan J Moran, June 16, 2022, 02:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

I have a curiosity which some more knowledgeable forum members may be able to inform me and possibly others.

I have visited the Gilmore once and of course spent time in the Cadillac (CLC) Museum.  The Buick Club of America (BCA) is considering a Buick museum at the Gilmore. 

For clarity- I am no longer a member of the CLC or the BCA but am a past member of both. I am out of the old car hobby due to cost and space considerations.   But I wanted to clarify since I get a lot of shade from some BCA members for posting comments on another forum while not being a present member.

I was also a member of an orphan club or two, and they were considering a "home base" of the Gilmore and / or establishing a museum there.  From my anecdotal remembrances - the Gilmore is NOT a Not for Profit organization and was suggesting a relationship where the marque in question PAID a considerable sum to "rent" ground space for their museum.   The small orphan club could not afford same, and there was no further attempts to establish a footprint at the Gilmore. 

As I walked through the Gilmore I noted the LINCOLN section, the CCCA area and of course the great CADILLAC dealership. 

Who owns the building?   

Are Cadillacs donated to the museum, loaned or a combination of both.

Is the CLC sent a bill each year for "rent", do they have any "ownership" in the museum? 

Obviously, the AACA acts as a national clearinghouse museum and organization for our hobby. Many (many!) museums are going away from lack of funding.  Iowa alone has lost 4 nice museums in the past 5 years. Others rely on the philanthropy of millionaires who may not endow the museum for the long term.  In some cases, subsequent BOD's have over-ridden deceased original owners and sold off the contents.

This may not be germane to the operation of the Gilmore, but it is brought into the discussion to advocate for more national type catch all museums like the Gilmore.  Anyone who has been there surely appreciates the comfortable relaxed rural setting of the facility. 

On the other hand, the Gilmore may not be for every old car club.  So clarity and disposition of the actual relationship between the facility and the CLC is my focused curiosity.  Is it a money "loser" for the CLC in these times of decreased and aging membership? 

What happens if the CLC can no longer endow the facility or big monied donors evaporate?   Or maybe I am not understanding the economics and dynamics of the relationship.

Please advise if you are so informed.   
CLC 35000

Carfreak

Bryan,

The great Cadillac building you mention is the brick and mortar of the Cadillac-LaSalle Museum & Research Center, an affiliated but separate entity from the Cadillac & LaSalle Club. 

Bill Anderson is the current Director and along with an elected Board they raise funds, accept donations and loans plus coordinate the maintenance and expenses for the 501(c)(3) organization. 

A lot of the CLC Forum participants are financial sponsors of the CLC MRC and could likely respond to some of your questions.  I'd suggest you reach out to Bill or other Directors (including Past CLC Presidents) for the best answers and information. 

They do have a brand new revamped website launched within the past 6 weeks or so.  It may also have some information to answer your questions.  https://www.cadillaclasallemuseum.org/

Contact info for Bill Anderson, Museum Curator Tim Pawl and Secretary Paul Ayres can be found on the Donations page of the Museum website. 

I almost forgot, the CLC MRC also has a large quantity of printed and other data materials as part of their Research Library.  And they own the Cadillac Database. 

Next week at the CLC GN in Lombard Illinois (only 7 miles from the Buick Club Nats in Lisle IL going on the same days) the Wednesday Welcome Reception will feature a Silent Auction of donated items and I believe a Live Auction for some other high dollar items.  If anyone who is planning to attend the GN has items they would like to donate (week at their ski or beach home, artwork, jewelry, knick knacks, almost anything someone may want to bid on) please bring them with you!! 

And in September, the Museum will again host their Annual Fall Festival at the Gilmore.  The Garage Sale which takes place in the Museum building Service Bay is another fundraiser for the Museum.  If you are attending the event, please consider to bring along some Cadillac or vehicle related memorabilia to donate.  These two events are significant fundraising opportunities. 

Again, I suggest you reach out to one of the Museum Directors or Officers for the best info and answers to your questions. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

James Landi

Hi Bryan,

Adding some general background to CarFreaks response, I have personal knowledge of not-for-profits as a retired headmOnster of several independent,private schools.  Not-for profits are hybreds--- they are mission driven but they are also a business.  The major contrast is that a volunteer board oversees the finances, is responsible to provide strategic planning,hires/evaluates the CEO, and works hard to generate dollars to sustain the operation.  FOr a school, even though tuition provides much of the annual operating budget, other annual expenses and capital costs require donations of dollars and in kind services, and in this case that you mention,Bryan, rental space.  If excess income occurs, those dollars go to endowments, capital improvement, or investments--- since the framework for such organizations forbits any one from profiting from the organization's work, aside from the salaried CEO and his employees, there are no financial incentives to volunteer... it's all about the origanization's mission and the passion generated that provides gifts of volunteer service or sacrificial donations. Most not-for=profits struggle for survival as the pool of volunteers and donors is very small--- I've found that to be the case    James

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Just a word or two about "volunteers." Most Thursdays, both Paul Ayres and Alan Haas can be found, sorting the vast amount of paper that the Club still has to catalog. Paul's cell is listed on the Web site and between the two of them, can answer many of the questions you might have about your Cadillac. (Thursdays only after about 10 AM EDT.)

Lar's Kneller and Glenn Brown also show up at the Museum about once a month for housekeeping and display set-ups. Lars also donates space in his warehouse to store cars now and then. Sue "Pash" has a group of local members that also touch up the cars, and attend to housekeeping duties.

And let's not forget the holidays. Last year, the "dealership" was decorated for Christmas including a Lionel train set at the base of the tree. We can always use more help. If you live within an hour or two of Kalamazoo, MI and have some spare time, get hold of Sue, Alan, or Paul and see about helping out.

The museum is only fourteen miles from the I-94 exit in Kalamazoo.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tom Hall 7485

The gentleman asks an interesting question, and Sue P. answers that the Cadillac and LaSalle Club Museum & Research Center, Inc. owns the building at Gilmore. However, she did not discuss the facility at Dexter.

The gentleman also asked about rent: Is the CLC Museum and Research Center, Inc. sent a bill [from Gilmore] each year for "rent"?

Mr. Moran's question is a good one, considering that the CLC museum corporation's IRS Form 990 for tax year ending December 31, 2021 states that it spent $43,111 for "occupancy", but also claimed nearly $39k in depreciation expense. (Form 990, year ending 12/31/21, p. 10, a public record because the corporation claims to have section 501(c)3 status).

Why did the corporation pay for "occupancy"? Is there a real estate loan being paid? Is there a condo assessment due Gilmore?

Then Mr. Moran asked about the sustainability of the museum. That's another great question, isn't it.

This club's membership has remained fairly stable at around 6,500 for the last ten years, at least. The museum corporation was never going to be able to support itself just on "sales" (admission charges, vending machines, souvenir sales, meeting room rentals, etc.). It depends heavily on the trust and good will of the membership, although I think its board of directors sometimes forgets that fact.

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Carfreak

* Italicized wording are portions of Tom Hall's questions. 
* Bold words are my comments. 

The gentleman asks an interesting question, and Sue P. answers that the Cadillac and LaSalle Club Museum & Research Center, Inc. owns the building at Gilmore. However, she did not discuss the facility at Dexter.
* I am aware of the location in Dexter and have been there several times.  I do not know though if it is rented or the space is provided free of charge.  The business was owned by a long time CLC member who passed a few years ago.  I believe his family is continuing the business operations but not sure of arrangements for use of the Reading Room area.  That would be best answered by CLC MRC Executives. 

The gentleman also asked about rent: Is the CLC Museum and Research Center, Inc. sent a bill [from Gilmore] each year for "rent"?
* There are fees the CLC MRC pays to the Gilmore, obviously, and again the best way to obtain answers is to reach out to CLC MRC Executive Team directly rather than asking those questions here on the CLC Forum. 

Mr. Moran's question is a good one, considering that the CLC museum corporation's IRS Form 990 for tax year ending December 31, 2021 states that it spent $43,111 for "occupancy", but also claimed nearly $39k in depreciation expense. (Form 990, year ending 12/31/21, p. 10, a public record because the corporation claims to have section 501(c)3 status).

Why did the corporation pay for "occupancy"? Is there a real estate loan being paid? Is there a condo assessment due Gilmore?
* I recall the CLC MRC announcing several years ago they paid off a loan utilized to construct their building at the Gilmore.  Again, the best way to get the correct and most complete information is to reach out to the CLC MRC Executive Team directly. Have you tried reaching out to Bill Anderson, Paul Ayres, Jim Verraster, Glenn Brown, Lars Kneller or others on the CLC MRC Executive Team to get your questions answered? 

Then Mr. Moran asked about the sustainability of the museum. That's another great question, isn't it.

This club's membership has remained fairly stable at around 6,500 for the last ten years, at least. The museum corporation was never going to be able to support itself just on "sales" (admission charges, vending machines, souvenir sales, meeting room rentals, etc.). It depends heavily on the trust and good will of the membership, although I think its board of directors sometimes forgets that fact.

* Which Board of Directors are you indicating - CLC or CLC MRC?  The two organizations are essentially separate entities although some persons are members of both Boards.  It seems they are very aware of membership numbers (CLC) and Museum donors.  These are items discussed at least twice a year at Board meetings.  Members and interested persons are welcome to attend.  Summer Board meetings are generally held during the GN.

It is very unfortunate that some persons post information that is irrelevant and/or negative towards the CLC MRC.  Not sure if they are doing so just to make their voices heard, if they are disgruntled or for another reason. 

There are many volunteers who take care of a variety of tasks and they were out enforce a the Cadillac Fall Festival.  I'm not sure if the registration fees for participation, tours, events, etc will create a profit but the Garage Sale definitely did to the tune of over $8700!!  Persons buying items in the Garage Sale often asked 'where does this stuff come from?' to which we would answer - donations by members, deceased members' families, Cadillac, Cadillac employee retirees, etc. 

In another Forum thread I started asking for Forum Participants to consider setting up a nominal recurring donation to the Museum.  That discussion quickly was hijacked with comments that could possibly cause persons to think the CLC MRC

And I am not seeing if it is in this thread or another, someone was alleging the Gilmore Museum was not a non-profit.  That is not correct; Gilmore IS a 501(c)(3) non profit organization. 

Funny thing about (negative or derogatory) comments, they tend to linger and be remembered even if they are not correct.  I realize it about myself too, sometimes though after the fact.  :-X

Tom Hall 7485

With respect, Sue, the finances of the museum corporation have to be out in the open to a fairly large extent. That is the "bargain" made with the IRS to get the tax-exempt status. (Some prospective donors may require even more disclosure than the law requires in order to feel comfortable giving a very substantial sum of money or collection to the Museum & Research Center.)

Ideally, it would be a knowledgeable member of the board of directors of the museum corporation who would answer whether the $43k was rent on the Dexter facility in 2021. In fact, I think every member of the board of the museum corporation should know the basic finances of that corporation, including whether Dexter is rented to the museum.

You say that there are "many" people volunteering to run the museum corporation. Certainly, you are helping, and my hat is off to you. However, unlike you, what I see is a fairly small number of people going to Dexter and Hickory Corners to do the business of the corporation. Having an adequate number of staff and mentoring people who can replace them when the time comes is one aspect of sustainability. I think you'll agree that it would be better if there were more people volunteering, but distance/remoteness is a factor.

By all means, keep asking people for money and keep cheerleading for the museum. But don't imagine for a minute that ordinary members should be seen and not heard regarding the management of that corporation.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Carfreak

Tom,

NO ONE IS HIDING THE MUSEUM FINANCES.  What is your intent with these allegations and accusations? 

In response to yours and other persons questions, I suggested they should contact a member of the Museum Executive Team.  Why don't you do this if you have unanswered questions or concerns? 

I am not on the Museum Board but am one of the MANY Museum volunteers.  When and if I have a question about the workings of the Museum, I ask Lars or Glenn or Bill or Tim or Alan or Jim or any of the other Museum Board Members and promptly receive a response. You should be able to call, email or write a letter but as I indicated, this Forum is probably not the best venue to get a response.  Perhaps you don't understand, of the over 6000 CLC members, not all of them are active here on the Forum including not all of the CLC and CLC Museum Board members. 

Any interested party can also attend the CLC Museum Board meetings.  I sat in on the Museum Board meeting at the Lombard GN this past summer because I was interested to keep abreast of their plans and activities.  I believe I asked a few questions to the Museum Board members who were in attendance.  A few Museum Board members were also participating by phone. FWIW, there were not very many members or guests attending the Museum Board meeting, perhaps easily less than a dozen same as the CLC Board meeting.     

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Each Board Member and Officer of the CLCMRC has to sign, each year, on the appropriate IRS form, the hours that he/she spent on the museum's business. They also have to affirm that they receive no recompense for any service rendered, and that they have received no MRC goods, chattel, etc, either as a gift, or by purchase as well. (Unless an item is advertised and/or available to the general public.)

They are expected to attend each Board Meeting at their own expense twice each year. I regret my own non-attendance for several years due to my advancing age (86) and my wife's inability to function on her own should I become ill during travel. (My office is ex-officio.)

The number of other "volunteers" are not readily visible mainly because they simply don't think that having their services posted on a list somewhere is necessary. They just show up and do the job.

As Sue suggests, if a member has a question about the operation of any aspect of the CLCMRC, all you need do is ask the appropriate officer as published in our CLC Directory. Other interested parties should be able to find an address on our Web Site.

(Officers are not required to peruse this Forum as a condition of their duties.)

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bryan J Moran

Sue:

I appreciate your kind responses to my inquiry.  It was not meant to create any discord.  Thank you for your efforts, and others, as volunteers. 

I appreciate that The Gilmore is a 5013c. However, as with Universities and other institutions, there is an endowment and officers and principals are paid, or some of them.  I ended a relationship with a non car historical society (architecture) because the buildings were getting neglected, and services lessened, while officers lined their pockets with salaries not commensurate with the result. 

The core answer you provided is that the brick and mortar building is NOT a CLC building.  The other club - the Buick Club - already has a "Heritage" MRC type organization, so in the case of the BCA, their proposition would be that the BCA - and perhaps they could get their heritage arm as well - would build a permanent home base structure similar to the MRC.

Since the building is not CLC, but rather CLCMRC, the discussion is "apples to oranges." 
CLC 35000

Carfreak

Yes, the Gilmore has paid staff; it would be very hard to operate the Largest Auto Museum in the Country without them.  That being said, they also have a plethora of volunteers just like the CLC MRC. 

The Gilmore really is an amazing place; not just a car museum but so much more - I've never seen anything comparable except maybe The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn - similar but different. 

They have a great Summer apprenticeship program for 6 students each year including travel assistance, lodging, meals and free courses. 
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/learn/summer-apprenticeship

Plus the after school Gilmore Garage Works Training Program: 
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/learn/gilmore-garage-works

One of these student programs is for At-Risk high school kids made possible by a wonderful & generous couple who I've had the opportunity to meet several times; Earlene & Larry Baum. 

Larry Baum in on the Gilmore Board (and a significant financial donor) along with Chairman Bill Parfet (another significant Gilmore donor); they are on site participating at events, they are approachable. Mr. Parfet's cars have been displayed in the CLC MRC Building and during our Fall Festival. 

I could go on and on and on.... the Gilmore truly is one of a kind and I don't doubt their Mission.  What bothers me is seeing some people here make statements based on assumptions or comparisons to other institutions.  Some of these statements could be read and incorrectly believed by other Forum users.     

You mention separating yourself from a non-auto Museum that the facilities were being neglected.  The Gilmore is constantly being maintained, improved and expanded.

I've heard a permanent band shell and grand stand are planned in the near future. 

The location of the planned Muscle Car Museum Building will cause another building to be relocated to the Participant Entry Gate. This is great news as it will provide a more permanent structure and location for event registration:
https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2020/03/michigan-car-museum-adding-muscle-car-exhibit-with-70s-replica-dealership.html

The Motorcycle Gallery, an often overlooked building, is being renovated.

New sewers were installed last year or the year before. 
https://wbch.com/news/316815

The huge Reception Building built about 10(?) years ago houses a large gift shop, Library, Museum Offices, Storage (there's a lower level!!) plus meeting and banquet rooms plus of course restrooms.  The building also joined the Steam Barn to the Franklin and Lincoln buildings.

Their Weekly Lecture Series during the winter gives people something to do during the off-season.
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/events/winter-lecture-series-14

Weekly Special Shows & Events during the Spring, Summer and Fall
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/gilmorecarmuseum.org/2022-show-schedule-flyer.pdf

Winter Motor Event in February featuring snowmobiles & tracked vehicles such as Model T and Model A with skis is a blast!! (rides available)
https://journal.classiccars.com/2022/01/13/gilmore-museum-says-let-it-snow/

Model T Driving School
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/learn/model-t-driving-experience

Ride the Classics - Collector Car Rides
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/events/ride-the-classics-4

Wednesday Weekly Cruise Night averaging 500 vehicles but has hosted up to 1200 vehicles
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/events/ride-the-classics-4

Summer Concert Series - rock tribute and other bands plus the Kalamazoo Symphony / Philharmonic
https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/summer-carload-concerts-and-music-schedule-announced-for-gilmore-car-museum

The CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) just completed a large expansion and renovation of their building
https://www.yahoo.com/now/classic-car-club-america-museum-190000166.html

My husband and I have visited so many transportation museums around the Country and it is a premier facility.  the Nethercutt and Barber Museum (Birmingham AL) are also amazing but of a different style.

QuoteOur Core Values

History: We share the passion of Genevieve and Donald S. Gilmore's intent to share their love of the history, heritage, and passion of the automobile and to help people of all ages understand the past and better appreciate the future.

Ethics: We act with honesty, integrity, and the highest professional standards. We embrace our role as stewards of the collection and honor our responsibility to preserve and interpret the collection through a commitment to research and curatorial scholarship.

Integrity: We demonstrate mutual respect with our volunteers, board members, employees, and visitors. We value diverse backgrounds, experiences, styles, approaches, and ideas and personally commit to the success and well-being of our teammates. We support the development of human potential with a creative and flexible work environment - encouraging an open community, and by providing coaching and feedback.

Environment: We believe in maintaining a unique, historical setting to enhance the visitor experience, and the preservation of open space to expand the experiential opportunities of the museum.

Education: Education is the primary mission of the museum. Through the development of programming and well-balanced interpretive exhibits, we are an important resource for our community.

Community: The museum embraces the local community by being a responsible neighbor and encourages collaboration and partnerships.

The Gilmore Car Museum started in the early 1960s when Donald S. Gilmore began collecting vintage automobiles. Some of the first vehicles in his collection included a 1927 Ford Model T, a 1913 Rolls Royce, and a 1920 Pierce Arrow. Restoring that classic Pierce-Arrow at his home on nearby Gull Lake ignited a passion. Over the years that followed Donald continued collecting some of the world's most renowned automobiles.

To accommodate his collection he acquired 90 acres of land in southwestern Michigan in a small town known as Hickory Corners. It was his wife Genevieve who had the idea of turning the collection into a museum, providing future generations access to Donald's one-of-a-kind collection. They established a non-profit foundation and opened the museum to the public for the first time on Sunday, July 31, 1966.

Today, the Gilmore Car Museum is North America's largest auto museum with over 400 vehicles on display and over 190,000 square feet of exhibit space. The Museum's 90-acre Historic Campus features numerous vintage structures including a restored and fully-functioning 1941 Silk City Diner, a recreated 1930s Shell Station, six onsite Partner Museums, and so much more.

The Gilmore Car Museum is a founding member of the National Association of Automobile Museums, as well as a member of the American Alliance of Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Michigan Museums Association, and the MotorCities National Heritage Area - affiliate of the National Park Service.
The Facts

The Gilmore Car Museum started as the hobby of Kalamazoo Businessman Donald Gilmore in 1963. Gilmore was the Chairman of the Upjohn Company at the time
    Opened to the public as a non-profit museum in July 31, 1966 with 35 cars on display
    The Gilmore Car Museum is a public, 501(c)3 non-profit educational institution, dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of the automobile in America
    The Museum is open year round. The Historic Campus and outer buildings are open from April 1 – November 30
    Daily admission is required, please click here for current rates
    Pre-registered educational school groups are free, as well as active military members
    To get the most of a visit, it is suggested to allow a minimum of 4-6 hours for exploring
    There are two dining options on the campus: The authentic 1941 Blue Moon Diner or during the winter months, the Heritage Cafe
    The museum is handicap accessible, including two personal elevators allowing access to second floors. A limited number of wheelchairs (free) and mobility scooters (a daily rental fee) are available for those who may need assistance. Please ask one of our Museum Store attendants upon your arrival for assistance.
    The Gilmore Car Museum is just 20 minutes from I-94 and US-131, located midway between Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, and Lansing, Michigan
    More than 112,000 guests from all over the world visit the Museum annually

Grounds

Situated on 90-landscaped acres in rural southwest Michigan
    Museum collection is housed in a recreated factory building from the turn of the century and within a historic campus of several historic buildings, which include eight restored 19th century barns, an authentic operating 1940s diner, a recreated 1930s Shell gas station and train depot from the 1890s. Recreated auto dealerships include a Franklin dealership from around 1918, a Model A Ford dealership from 1928, a 1930s Lincoln and a 1948 Cadillac dealership
    There are nearly three miles of paved roadways, on which antique cars, as well as the Museum's London Taxi, Checker Cab, Model T, or the London Double Decker bus can often be seen traveling
    Since 2004, the Museum has invested over $15 million toward infrastructure and expanding its campus by nine new structures, bringing the museum total to nearly 200,000 square feet. It also added a highly regarded high school mentoring program and created an automotive research library / archive open to the public
    George & Sally's Blue Moon Diner, an authentic 1941 diner, opened for business on site in 2005
    In total, the Museum features over 190,000 square feet of exhibit space

Exhibits

Today, nearly 400 automobiles from all eras are displayed with a total combined collection of over 500 vehicles.
    The oldest car on exhibit is an 1899 Locomobile Steam Car
    The one of-a-kind enlarged movie set from the 1967 Disney feature film, "The Gnome-mobile", and a 1930 Rolls Royce were personal gifts from Walt Disney.
    There are over 100 vintage pedal cars on display
    The Museum houses one of the largest displays of automotive mascots and name badges in North America, with more than 1,500 items on display

Collections on the Historic Campus

Classic Car Club of America Museum
    Pierce-Arrow Foundation Museum
    The H.H. Franklin Collection
    Model A Ford Museum
    Lincoln Motor Car Heritage Museum
    Cadillac-LaSalle Club Museum
    Museum of the Horseless Carriage
    Checker Motors Historical Records & Archives

Accolades

Considered one of the "Top three car museums in the nation" by the experts – OLD CARS WEEKLY, ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE and CAR COLLECTOR magazines
    Hailed as "Michigan's #1 Historic Auto Site" – TRAVEL MICHIGAN
    Named the "#1 Cool Collection" in Michigan – AAA LIVING MAGAZINE
    Listed on "the 'bucket list' of must see auto museums" – AUTOWEEK MAGAZINE
    Declared "Beyond any argument, this is one of the world's great car collections" – HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
    The Gilmore Car Museum exhibits have created an "entertaining lesson in 20th-century popular culture" – WALL STREET JOURNAL
    "One of the most unforgettable automobile museums on this continent" – OLD AUTOS MAGAZINE - Canada