News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

For Sale - Parts / Set of four Cadillac mugs
Last post by Barry M Wheeler #2189 - Today at 12:57:21 PM
I have had these for some thirty or forty years (or more), and we may have "used and discarded" a couple of them, as I can't remember how many were in the original set, and it's too early in AZ to call Norm Uhlir to check. These are unused and have been sitting in an unlighted cabinet for all this time, so they are not faded. Sorry, there are no LaSalle emblems shown.

Capacity is probably 8 oz. If you have only a couple of kids, this would be a nice set for your family, and would reflect your interest in Cadillac. 

$25.00 for the set of four plus $10.00 postage in the 48 contiguous states. Send me a PM and I will let you know where to send your check.
General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by Cadman-iac - Today at 12:09:06 PM
  James,
I'm fortunate that the burb has a full set of factory gages that still work great. The only thing I dislike about them is that they are electric and not mechanical. But I'm not going to try swapping them just for that.

TJ,
Who handles those test strips for the antifreeze? I'd like to get some for future use.
Yes, there's an inherent "slimyness" to the glycol coolant anyway, but I had always thought it helped with the transfer of heat since it clings to the metal, and skin.

Dan,
Yes I'm familiar with the mess dexcool makes. When the first vehicles that came with it began coming into the dealership for service I remember looking at the mud in the cooling system. I had heard horror stories about the mixing of the two coolants causing problems, but hadn't heard it could be from ai r in the system. That's interesting.
I've only got one vehicle that had it, I say had because I completely flushed it and converted it to the green coolant, marking the cap and overflow as reminders.

Smokes,
It does have an aluminum intake and radiator. The intake is factory, the radiator a replacement for the original copper one.
  The ground cable goes from battery direct to the block. There isn't any other grounding that I recall. Would an additional strap make any difference?

Thanks everyone for your replies, I do appreciate the feedback.

Rick

Edit: Question, what if any flushing solvent/cleaner would be best to get rid of anything harmful in the system, or would just back-flushing with fresh water be sufficient? I've been leary of using anything harsh to flush the system because of possible damage by the flush agent itself.
Any recommendations?
General Discussion / Re: 1969 Wipers not parking co...
Last post by J. Skelly - Today at 11:46:58 AM
I had decent success loosening up the wiper arm assembly nuts under the cowl screen where they wipers are kept in synch with one another, then moving the wiper arms slightly below the normal park position, tightening the nuts, then returning the wiper arms to the normal park position.   
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:20:48 AM
The test strips seem like a reasonable option.

There is something in modern even green formulas that creates a sort of slime layer on copper.  An old time radiator shop was telling me about that and pointing it out several years ago. The slime doesn't seem to damage anything directly but it does reduce the flow and heat transfer efficiency.  It also doesn't just easily flush out.  At the time the shop owner didn't know of a solution.  It was just one of those changes that was made in the 90's and the copper thing didn't matter since by then copper wasn't being used.   
General Discussion / Seeking Advice on Hydraulic Sh...
Last post by Tonyv_73 - Today at 11:19:08 AM
Hello fellow Cadillac enthusiasts,

I am the proud owner of a 1955 Cadillac with 19,000 original miles. I recently discovered that the car has replacement shocks, likely from the 1960s or 1970s. As i recall, the front shocks are light blue, and the rear shocks are tan, indicating they could be Delco Superides shocks or Delco Pleasurizers.

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with hydraulic shocks on 1954-1956 Cadillacs. Specifically, has anyone used "shocks2springs.com" for rebuilding spiral shocks? I am curious if they maintain the original specifications of the car or if they offer a one-size-fits-all approach.

Additionally, if my shocks are Delco Pleasurizers or Superides, would it be advisable to keep them in the car? Or does anyone know of a company that rebuilds these specific shocks?

I appreciate any insights or recommendations you can provide. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Anthony
Technical / Authenticity / adding an inline fuel pump and...
Last post by Po3824 - Today at 11:02:08 AM
I am interested in adding an inline fuel pump and filter near the gas tank, can anyone suggest what brand and model in order to provide the correct pressure and volume to my 1949 Cadillac series 62 engine?
Oil pressure you can just use a T fitting.  Coolant generally needs to be in the flow so a T doesn't usually work.  I don't know a 60 at all to know if there are multiple ports available.  If there isn't an alternate port available you have to look for alternatives.  There are some that are just metal temp sensors that you put somewhere like under one of the bolts in the thermostat housing that can be reasonably accurate.
Last post by smokuspollutus - Today at 09:50:02 AM
That is true. Most fuel injected engines came with an aluminum intake manifold during this time. Just about all of the V8s I can think of besides the big block Cadillac had a crossover cast into the manifold. With a bi-metal setup, acidic coolant will pit the crossover area and can create an internal coolant leak which is no bueno. James has mentioned the freeze plug issue as well, which is common to all cast iron motors. It can be a big deal if you get a leaking one on an Eldorado as several are basically inaccessible without separating the engine and transmission.

An important thing we should all check is the presence and condition of the engine mounted ground strap. Without this, galvanic corrosion can really pick up speed.
Last post by dn010 - Today at 09:36:53 AM
Dexcool works as long as you have a nice leak free system and it can provide years of problem free service. You're basically screwed when you unknowingly get even a pinhole that allows air into the system with dexcool. Months go by and your cooling system turns into a horrific mess. 

You can get away with slacking for a bit on the regular green coolant maintenance on the old cast iron blocks, it is the engines with aluminum components that will be eaten by acidic antifreeze. I would be paying more attention on coolant change intervals with aluminum.
General Discussion / Re: 1960 Sheet Metal Parts Pan...
Last post by hmbmw21 - Today at 08:53:43 AM
Thanks for the Help!!