News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wiring

Started by Clifton 77, April 26, 2024, 08:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clifton 77

Good evening I have a 1977 Coupe Deville that I put a 1980 368 engine in. My wire harnesses on the 77 is a lil different. It doesn't have the round connection for the distributor and it's missing the plug that runs under the air compressor that goes into the engine. Can I bypass these or what do I have need to do.

Carfreak

Carbureted & bypassed the DEFI?
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

I believe the RWD car 368's in 80 had the computer command carbs which included distributor timing.  Eldo and Seville got the DEFI which also had computer timing. 

To solve the distributor problem just swap the distributor from your old engine.  Let us know if you need instructions on how to do that, there are tricks to make it easier.

The rest of the computer command engine should run OKish without being connected like the throttle position sensor, mixture control solenoid, and egr solenoid.

Just in case you have issues at least hang onto the intake manifold and carb from your old engine, it could end up swapping that stuff onto the 368.       

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clifton 77

Good evening now that install my 368 in my 77 deville but the mounts are in the original spot but one side will bolt up and the other side are a little up and are on the rubber of the mount. I did the other side first and it's doing the same thing. I'm lost and need help figuring it out. Thanks.

TJ Hopland

The 368 isn't as well known as the 472/500/425 when it comes to swaps but I would expect the holes in the engine block to be the same so you should be able to swap the whole bracket off the 77 engine.

I'm not sure what wire you are talking about related to the air compressor, gonna need some more info on that one.  Is this a wire that car has but the new engine doesn't?  Or the other way around the new engine has something that there isn't a place to plug into your car?

Clifton 77

It's the wiring that come on the engine. It runs under the air compressor into the block.

James Landi

"To solve the distributor problem just swap the distributor from your old engine.  Let us know if you need instructions on how to do that, there are tricks to make it easier."

Perhaps you didn't read TJ's suggestion... I have direct experience with the distributor swap. It worked for me with a computer managed Cadillac into which I swapped an older model Olds carburetor engine... worked perfectly.  James

TJ Hopland

James, in this case it going the other direction than you did.  You had a non computer engine into a computer car and kept the computer.  This case its a computer engine into a non computer car.

Air compressor I assume you are referring to the air conditioning compressor?  Top front center of the engine?  Under there is the coolant temp sensor.  Old engine/car should have had one there too, a single wire one that runs the dash light.  Computer engine would expect to have had that plus an additional 2 wire sensor for the computer.   I would transfer the sensor from your old engine to this engine.  The port under the AC and near the distributor base are in the same coolant passage so either or both can be used.  IF there is a sensor sticking out of the passenger side behind the water pump that is also basically the same passage too.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Pardon my ignorance but why on earth would you put a 368 into a car that had a 425 in it. You are going to end up with a vastly under powered car and the mileage will probably be worse, since the 368 is going to have to work a lot harder than the original engine?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Clifton 77

That's the only one I could find. All the other engine are hard to find these days. I tired of the car sitting so I'm putting that in it until I can find a bigger one. It's just temporary.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Do you have emission testing in your area?
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Clifton 77